"I mean, who didn't? All the girls and gays in college liked him."

"But you never said anything."

"Cara, I didn't like him like I resent you because he liked you instead. Not like that. Anyway, why are we talking about that now?"

After she threw the bag into the trash bin, Claire proceeded to my coffee maker and made us both coffee.

"I umm, I haven't seen him all week, Claire. Are you in touch with him?" I leaned my back against the island counter as I watched Claire make our coffee.

"The last time I heard from him was when he was in Japan for a business trip. Wait, you mean after your company outing, you haven't seen him?" She handed me my cup and wondering was written on her face.

I shook my head.

Claire nodded her head. She walked toward my living room and I followed. We both sat on my couch.

"He never mentioned anything about you, but I assumed, everything was already, you know, okay between you two."

I sipped on my coffee before shaking my head again.

"He never showed in the office the full week. I even thought he was avoiding me and Alex and I never spoke about him."

"Hmm... Anyway, he'll be in your office on Monday for sure. He's arriving today from Japan."

I nodded at her and remembered to ask her about Audrey.

"By the way, did you know Brian has a sister?"

"He has what??"

I told her everything Alex told me earlier, what happened at the pub last night and how she came here to my apartment just hours ago.

The whole time I was telling her about Audrey, her face was in shock mode. Her eyes were opened wide, I don't think her mouth closed the entire time I was talking.

"Oh my god! And you have the whole family locked in your charm, Car." She blurted out.

"What?"

"I mean, I hope they don't have any more relatives because I'm sure, he or she will be pining for you too."

"Claire!" I was being serious and here she goes, messing around.

"Okay, I'm shocked, alright." Her palms lifted in the air. "But it's true though." She mumbled.

I heard that last sentence she said but chose to ignore it.

"Isn't weird that he never spoke of her? As in ever?" I asked her.

"Well, if what Alex said was true, then that must be his reasons."

"But it's his sister!" I exclaimed.

"Cara, we don't know the whole story. We just heard Alex's side which is really not a side because she was just a cousin, you know what I mean?" Claire defended.

I didn't say anything though deep inside, I was self-debating.

"Anyway, how are you and Alex?" She said after a while.

"She's in London, she flew there last night and will be back on Monday." 

"Oh."

"For her chemo."

"Ohhh..."

"Yeah..."

We both fell silent. It's not awkward though. Claire probably thinking of words she could tell me to ease my worries. 

I was quiet, well, because I was worried. And I don't think there will be words to ease that unless I see Alex myself.

"She'll be... great, Car." She tried to console me.

I gave her a small smile letting her know I appreciated it.

We talked the whole night about other things while I waited for Alex's text or call.

Oh, how I wish I could ask her Mom while she was resting. It was really difficult to just wait around, not knowing what was happening over there.

It's getting late so we decided for Claire to spend the night here. I guess it feels nice to have a friend on my side while I wait.

"Still nothing?" Claire asked as soon as she came out of the bathroom and saw me staring at my phone.

Even when we were talking, my eyes were fixated on my phone, waiting and praying for a text or call from Alex. But it's already late and still have nothing.

My worries grew a hundred times as time passed by. 

Her time in London is a few hours ahead of me and I don't know, I'm starting to get this itchy feeling in my gut like I felt something has happened or maybe it was just I was worrying too much, and I'm hoping for the latter.

"It's more than 8 hours, Claire, that I haven't heard from her. I called her a couple of times already but she's not answering." My voice cracked and she heard it.

"Oh, Cara." She sat beside me and put her arm around my shoulder. "You know, chemo is really hard-core, the medicine injected into her body would really make her sleep all day. She's probably weak at the moment but you'll see, after she absorbs all that, she'll gain her energy back and she will call you, I know it."

I tried not to but a sob escaped from my mouth. I was about to wipe my tears when my phone rang and Alex's name was registered.

Immediately, I answered it.

"Alex!" 

The other line was silent for a few seconds before I repeated calling her name.

"This is... This is her Mom."

__________________________________

Hello, my lovely and funny readers, I set up a ko-fi account, so if you want to treat me, send me a gift, or simply motivate me, please feel free to visit my page: Ko-fi.com/lunamarcelo :)

Follow me on IG as well: LunaMarcel0

Thank youuuu for always supporting my work, I'm reading all your comments and I love how invested you are in the story :)