012

012 — ❝BLACK POLO❞

012 — ❝BLACK POLO

"AHEM," Sherrie began, startling Carson while she put on her heels, By the look in Sherrie's eyes, Carson thought he mother was about to scold her for not wearing enough layers

"AHEM," Sherrie began, startling Carson while she put on her heels, By the look in Sherrie's eyes, Carson thought he mother was about to scold her for not wearing enough layers. "Where did you get those tights? The mothers will go ballistic." She said.

Carson's face softened as she heard her words, "Oh, Givenchy. They're vintage, but super cute."

"Ah, I see." Sherrie spoke, not amused by Carson's designer outfit. She had not yet grew accustomed to the lavish lifestyle Carson was trying to gift her, so watching her daughter mention so casually that her outfit costed well over five thousand dollars still startled her.

Declan entered the foyer the two girls had been waiting in while fixing the collar on his shirt, "Mom, this collar is too tight."

Sherrie turned to see it, grabbing it roughly to adjust it. "Looks alright to me. You haven't worn nice clothes in a while, anyways."

Carson giggled as she watched her brother squirm under his formal clothes, until he saw her try to stifle her laugh while looking at him.

Her brother rolled his eyes, "Need something, Sonny?"

She quickly composed herself, "Mhm, let me just..." She spoke, taking a step forward to actually fix her brother's collar. She pulled on one side hard to stretch out the tight collar, causing his head to jerk back. He groaned as she pulled and pulled, until it finally stretched out enough for him to breath. "Better?"

"Thanks." He replied dryly.

Carson didn't have a chance to make a snarky remark towards him as her dad entered the room, wearing a Patagonia vest with khakis. Easton checked the time with his phone, seeing it was almost seven o'clock. "You guys ready?"

Carson nodded, a smile present on her face as she made her brother interlock arms as they walked out of the door. The Burrows lived probably fifty feet away, so there was no use in driving a few hundred yards.

A few close slips in the icy sidewalk later, the Lauder's arrived at their neighbors front door. Carson gulped, her face heating up after stepping onto this porch for the first time in seven years. She started breathing more heavily, as it was extremely evident since the temperatures were so low you could see your own breath.

Declan took notice of it, giving her arm a squeeze as he let go of her. She gave him a faint smile as Sherrie rang the doorbell.

Just seconds later, Robin Burrow opened up the front door.

Fuck this, fuck my life, fuck everything. Carson thought, but put on a wide smile as she saw Joe's mom.

"The whole Lauder family is back in Athens!" Robin began, giving hugs to Sherrie and Easton.

After the two went inside, Carson and Declan were still standing infront of the door. Robin gave them both a smirk before speaking, "Wow, you babies are all grown up! Declan, you are looking handsome! How's Alabama?"

"It's good! Just focused on school." He responded, his hands fidgety in his pockets.

Robin gave him a nod, gesturing him to go inside. After Declan walked in, Robin and Carson were alone.

Joes mother took a step forward, her eyes watery. "Sonny, you are just... Beautiful. I am so glad you came home."

Carson's shoulders relaxed, "Me too. It's been for too long."

"It sure has. Y'know, for a few years I thought you were never coming back. But, it's evident that I was wrong. Athens will always be your home, I hope you know that."

Carson was trying not to ruin her mascara as her eyes teared up, "Thank you, Robin."

"I know you and Joe haven't spoken in a while, but I think it would be really nice if you two could become friends again. I know it won't be easy, but to be honest... He hasn't been doing well." Robin frowned.

Carson's smile faded, "Oh, I'm so sorry. Life has just gotten the best of me, but I'm looking forward to talking to him tonight."

Robin gave her a weak smile, then pushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "You haven't changed a bit, Sonny. Now, get inside, I'm surprised we haven't froze to death talking out here."

Carson smiled weakly, then graciously entering the foyer to be met with the aroma of pumpkin spice—just how it always smelt.

"Oh, sweetie, those tights are just to die for! Where did you get them?" Robin asked, a smile emerging from her past frowning face.

The redhead thought for a moment before responding, "A boutique in New York! When I get back, I'll definitely mail you a pair. Just send me your size, you still have my number!"

Robin grinned gratefully at the girl before the neighborhood mom's swarmed her without warning.

Carson hugged every mom what felt like ten times as they asked her what "big city" things she was doing, along with all the mysterious lovers she must've had.

"We saw your Porsche in the driveway, isn't that just a beauty. Sherrie and Easton got lucky with this one, my boy works at Subway." One of the moms laughed, her hand stroking Carson's red hair.

Carson didn't mind the fact that they treated her as a doll, she kind of liked it. "Wouldn't have been possible without them!" Carson grinned back, playfully pointing at her parents who were pouring a glass of red wine in the dining room.

CARSON LAUDER'S POINT OF VIEW.

Walking into this house for the first time in seven years made me want to have an aneurism.

It's still the same. Everything is still the same. Every picture, every piece of home decor, even the throw pillows are in the exact same spots.

I took a deep breath before heading inside the kitchen where I placed down the homemade banana muffins my mother had made the previous night. I took a moment to observe how everything was still in the same exact spot, as if it was 2015 and I was still a senior in high school, hanging out at my boyfriend's house.

Robin told me to help myself, so I gladly did before having to face Joe. The clock was ticking, which made me more and more anxious. My heart was pounding, and the many powdered donuts I shoved down my throat didn't help.

I stared at the picture of Joe and I as middle schoolers on the counter for what felt like two hours before being taken out of my daze by my mother, "Sonny, can you get the green beans and put them on the kitchen table?"

I flinch, then nodded to Robin. Still completely out of it, I picked up the green beans and when I started walking, my field of view had become blocked from a tall man in a black polo standing in front of me.