Until Next Time, Hastinapur

Start from the beginning

Devika says, "If you accept me Maharaj, I am fine with staying in a Bhavan near the palace."

My mother-in-law seems to be pleased with her words but King Govasen says he will think more and takes their leave. 

I just stay quite and try to not mind it and think I must be paying the price for loving another man who is not husband. 

The day of the marriage, I spent most morning helping Bhanu get ready. I rushed to get ready as the ceremony will start soon. Matashree wants me to wear a bright red saree but that's the colour Bhanu is wearing so I choose a red blouse, to not disappoint my matashree, and a mustard saree which has red embroidery border to not outshine Bhanu. 

King Govasen and Yudhisthir talks about politics and military in the wedding hall. Arjun took me away from them and we sit together.

Karn sits with bhrata Aswathama on the grooms side with us. I avoid looking at him. Arjun whispers in my ear, "Should I tell you something Panchali?" 
"Tell, Arya putra." I say, curious.

"I understand why mother wants us to be close with bhrata Duryodhaan and his brothers, I am happy that you are good friends with Durshala and Bhabhishree Bhanu. But I can't stand Anga Raj Karna." His voice shows how much he don't like him.
I tell him, "Whatever went down between you too was years ago. Its fine now, I  am sure you guys can be great friends. Both of you love archery so much, why fight over it." Honestly I am surprise how no one thought that they share the same blood, they both loves archery more than anyone else, they are loyal to their friends, they even look a little bit alike. 

Arjun says, "Its not archery. I acknowledge his skill in archery and I know he does the same. So even though we were never a fan of each other, we maintained a relationship where we at least greet each other at the advise of Pitamah. But now, I just don't like him." I silently listen, he continues, "It's the way he looks at me. He looks at me like I am in his spot." 

I look at Karn, and find him looking at us. At Arjun, like he would get up from his seat, come towards us and punch Arjun in the face. He turns his head away and says something to bhrata Aswathama. 

"I just hate him." Arjun says.

KARNA

A voice calls out to me, "Bhrata Karn."
The wedding is over. I am leaving for Anga tomorrow, although Duryodhaan asked me to come back fast I think I will stay in Anga for sometime. 

"Vasudev? Where are you coming from? And how come you are calling me bhrata?" I ask Krishna. 

Krishna smiles and reply, "You are older than me. So can't I address you as 'bhrata'? I was just coming to see you before I leave tomorrow for Dwarika."

"Is everything fine?" I ask him. He is usually with Pandavs, they are cousin so I wonder why he is coming to talk to me.

Krishna speaks, "To tell you the truth, I came here to talk to you now so that I won't have this conversation near a war."

"What war?" I am confuse. "Is anyone coming to attack Hastinapur? If so, I am always ready."

"Not now bhrata." He continues. "Hastinapur is one unlucky mother. Her fortune says that her own children will be the death of each other one day." 

"Why so Vasudev?" I ask. Vasudev Krishna is never wrong. And if he's saying there will be war, there will be war for sure.

"Because of greed, jealousy. You know everything. You know Mama Sakunee is taking Duryodhaan down, why do you still stay with him?" He ask.

"Duryodhaan is my friend, he was there when I had no one. He is the only one who doesn't care if his friend is sut putra. He is not pure evil Vasudev. But he listens to the wrong person. I will try my best so that he doesn't repeat his action." I say. 

"Then try your best bhrata Karn, for the crimes he already committed, he deserves punishment, but Yudhisthir already forgave him so who am I to punish him? But if he crosses the line again, if he ever disrespect a dear friend of mine, I won't let anyone forgive him."

I don't question him, I just listen. I have to talk to Duryodhaan soon, ask him what mama Sakunee is planning now.

Krishna ask me, "But bhrata Karn you know well that you are not a sut putra."

I do. "I know Vasudev, I am Suryaputra, but Suryadev didn't reveal my mother. He said he gave me as a boon but she didn't accept me as she was not married that time. My mother must be from a royal family, that's why she gave me up, to save her reputation. Her palace must be near Ganga, since she left me there. She cared about her reputation more than her child's life, she practically left me to die." 

"You are right bhrata. She is from a royal family and she got scared. But she still prays for you, she loves you as much as her other children. Why don't you try and find her? I will help you get back to your real family." 

It sounds like Krishna knows my birth mother too. "Do you know my birth mother Vasudev?"

"Yes, I do. But don't ask me who it is, I cannot reveal without asking her first." Krishna says.

"I won't Vasudev. And I won't look for her also. She birthed me it's true but I was raised by my mother Radha. And everyone knows me now as Radheya, I am proud of it. Why should I look for her when she abandoned me? She clearly didn't want me."

He asks, "Why won't you look for her bhrata? She surely will be happy, I tell you that. She is just scared to come forward. She also doesn't think you will forgive her."

I smile, "My life brought me through phases and many turns. Everything that's happening to me know is because of three women in my life. One, my birth mother who abandoned me, because of her I can't even tell who my real father is to anyone and faced discrimination all my life. Second, my mother Radha. She raised me with love. Whatever I am today, its because of her and I will always place her before my birth mother." I didn't talk about the third one.

"I respect your decision bhrata Karn, but just know that your birth mother also waits for you. And don't hate Pandavs so much, tell bhrata Duryodhaan too. After all, brothers should stay tight." Vasudev says. 

"Everything will fall back to place bhrata, you just don't follow everything Duryodhaan says in the name of loyalty and friendship. If you actually care for him, bring him out of mama Sakunee's shadow."