No Calling Needed

(Honestly, i had no clue what to name this chapter. The title will make more sense once you read it.)

I stood on the dragon field, talking to Dain. well, it's actually more like we are arguing at this point. God, we've been arguing so much recently.

"You shouldn't be trusting Xaden like this! he'll kill you the second he has the chance to!" Dain argues, obviously upset at the fact I've been hanging out with Xaden mire than him recently.

"Why would Xaden kill me? Our lives are literally dependent on each other!" I counter. Is Dain this stupid? The only reason why Xaden would kill me would be because he wants to die, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to.

"I get that! you've told me at least a million times by now that your lives are connected. That doesn't mean anything in the end! You've been hanging out with him so much that it's like you want to see him." Dain argues back, getting more upset with every word. "Xaden isn't someone you want to get close to, Y/n."

"I don't think you understand, Dain." I reply, rolling my eyes.

"You're right, I don't understand this, but I do know that Xaden isn't good for you, Y/n. Sure, you can trust him not to kill you for obvious reasons, but you don't need to get all friendly with him." Dain finishes. Is he..jealous? Is Dain jealous of Xaden??

"Wouldn't it be easier if we were a bit friendly?" I ask, "Because then you wouldn't have to worry as much as you do right now."

"Look, Y/n. Xaden is so, so, so dangerous and unpredictable. he goes from cold to hot and hot to cold in the blink of an eye. I don't want you to get hurt." Dain says innocently, and for a moment, I believe him.

"I appreciate your concern, Dain, but this isn't going to change anything between me and Xaden. I'm going to do what I want." I reply. he's been so overprotective of me since we were kids, and it's starting to actually get annoying.

"Y/n, come on. this isn't something you should just ignore. I'm giving you actual advice, and all you're not even acknowledging it-" Dain says, but someone cuts him off.

"You shouldn't trust Dain. He's not the person you think he is." Xaden says, and I look around to see where he is.

He isn't here..

"Y/n?" Dain asks, but I ignore him.

"He's too overprotective of you. He needs to let you go be your own person." Xaden continues. what the heck? where is he coming from??

"Are you even listening to me?" Dain asks, annoyed with me now. He rests his hand on my cheek like he always does.

"Sorry, what'd you say?" I ask Dain, ignoring Xaden.

Dain keeps his hand on my cheek a bit longer before taking it off and giving me a weird look. "Nevermimd. I'll see you later."

"Okay..? Bye." I reply, confused.

"Bye." Dain replies and walks away.

"Shoot. he touched your cheek, didn't he?" Xaden asks me in my mind.

it's not like I can respond, I only know how to respond to Tairn and Andarna. this is all completely new to me.

"When someone like Dain touches your cheek, he can read your mind. This isn't good. He probably knows we can talk to each other now." Xaden continues, and my eyes go wide.

Dain always touches my cheek..I thought that was his way of comforting me. Has he really been reading my mind this entire time?

I don't even know what I'm more confused about at this point. the fact that Xaden is talking to me in my mind, or the fact that Dain has most likely been reading my mind since the day I got to Basgiath.

I start running, I have no idea of where to go, but I keep running.

I get to the dormitories and go up to the third floor where the third year's rooms are.

I sigh, realizing that Xaden's dorm is going to be the last dorm because he's the wingleader.

"Oooh, you wanna come see me?" Xaden asks in a sarcastic flirty way.

God, I really hate this man.

I walk to his dorm and start knocking on it until he answers. "Are you trying to make my door fall off?" Xaden asks.

He's not wearing a shirt.

God, why does he have to have the most perfect set of abs ever?

"Eyes are up here, Y/n." Xaden sighs and smirks, noticing me looking at his chest.

I look up at him as I walk into his dorm. "Why the heck are you talking to me in my mind?" I ask, "Am I going insane and just hearing things, or is there something else going on?"

Xaden closes the door, leaning against it. "Slow down, one thing at a time."

"Am I going insane or are you actually talking to me in my brain?" I ask again.

"I'm talking to you, obviously. I know you can be insane sometimes, but I don't think that you would ever get to the point where you start hearing voices. Especially not my voice." Xaden smirks. "Because why would you choose to hear my voice?"

I give him a glare as he tilts his head.

"And how are you talking to me when you're at least five hundred feet away?" I ask, choosing to ignore his comment.

"Our dragons are mated. We obviously can talk to each other like how we talk to our dragons." Xaden says, finally starting to explain.

What. the. flip. the last person I'd want to talk to in my mind is Xaden. How is this even fair?

"Best thing ever, am I right?" Xaden asks sarcastically.

"Soo.. how do I reply to you and block you out?'" I ask, desperate to block him out just like how I do with Tairn.

He opens the door, gesturing for me to start to leave.

"Figure out what side of your brain I'm on." Xaden replies and shuts the door in my face.