Chapter Nine

There is an art to poison not often discussed, and that is timing.

Only a master can properly dose and administer for effective onset.

One must take into account the mass of the individual as well as the method of delivery.

—Effective Uses of Wild and Cultivated Herbs by Captain Lawrence Medina

"Keep the temperaments of each specific breed in mind when you decide which dragons to approach and which to run from at Threshing," Professor Kaori says, his serious, dark eyes slashing toward his nose as he studies the new recruits for a beat, t...

"Keep the temperaments of each specific breed in mind when you decide which dragons to approach and which to run from at Threshing," Professor Kaori says, his serious, dark eyes slashing toward his nose as he studies the new recruits for a beat, then changes the projection he has conjured from a Green Daggertail to a Red Scorpiontail.

He is an illusionist and the only professor in the quadrant with the signet ability to project what he sees in his mind, which makes this class one of my favourites. With that I mean is stay awake long enough to hear around half of the lesson. 

More or less.

The Red Scorpiontail in the centre of our circled tables is a fraction of its actual size, six feet tall at most, but it is an exact replica of the actual firebreather waiting in the Vale for Threshing. "Red Scorpiontails, like Ghrian here, are the quickest to temper," Professor Kaori continues, his perfectly trimmed moustache curving as he smiles at the illusion like he is the dragon himself.

"So, if you offend him, you're-"

"Lunch," Ridoc says from my left, and the class laughs. I also join in. Even Jack Barlowe, who hasn't quit glaring at me since his squad took over their quarter of the room a half hour ago, snorts. Which immediately makes me stop laughing and I turn my smile into a glare direct to Jack.

"Precisely," Professor Kaori responds. "So, what's the best way to approach a Red Scorpiontail?" He glances around the room.

"You don't," Rhiannon mutters next to Violet.

"They prefer that you approach from the left and from the front, if possible," a woman from one of the other squads' answers.

"Excellent." Professor Kaori nods. "For this Threshing, there are three Red Scorpiontails willing to bond." The image changes in front of us to a different dragon.

"How many dragons are there in total?" Rhiannon asks.

"A hundred for this year," Professor Kaori answers, changing the image again. "But some might change their minds during Presentation in about two months, depending on what they see."

A beautiful woman when they look at me. With some mental issues.

Joking. 

I may be stupid, but I don't want to become a pile of ashes, and give Pinky an opening with Xaden.

"That's thirty-seven fewer than last year." Violet cuts in.

Yeah, I knew that too.

Again, I am joking, let me tell you I didn't know that.