Chapter Seven

It is my opinion that of all the signet powers riders provide, mending is the most precious, but we cannot allow ourselves to become complacent when in the company of such a signet. For menders are rare, and the wounded are not.

—Major Frederick's Modern Guide for Healers

Dain carries Violet through a passage out of the Rider's Quadrant and into the Healer's

Dain insisted on giving Imogen two weeks of kitchen duties because she was a second year and should know better. She used her powers on the mat and tried to stab Violet with a dagger.

Dain kicks the door three times.

It swings open and Winifred, one of Violet's two Healers, and the person who taught me everything to become a good healer. She was like a mother I never had.

"Another injury? You riders certainly are trying to fill our beds to- Oh no, Violet?" Her eyes go wide.

"Hi, Winifred," I say while waving at her and then wining when I remember my broken arm.

"Oh, Athena dear" She shakes her head at me when she takes in my broken arm and nose. "It is so good to see you even though I wished it was under other circumstances."

"Thank you, Winifred," I say to the Healer while she leads us into the infirmary, a long hall of beds, half of which were full of people in rider black. Healers did not have magic, relying on traditional tinctures and medical training to heal as best they can, but menders like Nolon, Violet's other Healer and Winifred's husband, did.

I always loved to see Nolon work and heal people. I love to hear them scream when he mends them. 

Joking.

Sort of.

The signet of mending is exceptionally rare among riders. They have the power to fix, restore, and return anything to its original state - from ripped cloth to pulverized bridges, including broken human bones.

My older brother, Brennan, is a mender and would have become one of the greatest  was he still here at the Quadrant.

When Winifred leaves Vi into the hands of Nolon she makes her way to me.

"Is Vi alright?"

She puts her hand on my shoulder "She will be fine; it needs to heal but it is nothing to bad. After she is mended Nolon will make his way to you. I do advise to spend the night here, just to be sure."

"Okey, thank you." I answer.

" I answer