Chapter Five

The sparring ring is where riders are made or broken. After all,

No respectable dragon would choose a rider who cannot defend

themselves, and no respectable cadet would allow such a

Threat to the wing to continue training.

-Major Afrendra's Guide to the Riders Quadrant

(Unauthorized Edition)

"Elena Sosa, Jace Sutherland

"Elena Sosa, Jace Sutherland." Captain Fitzgibbons reads from the death roll, flanked by two other scribes on the dais as we stand in silent formation in the courtyard, squinting into the early sun.

This morning, we are all in rider black, and there is a single silver four-pointed star on my collarbone, the mark of a first year, and a Fourth Wing patch on my shoulder.

We were issued standard uniforms yesterday, summer-weight tight-fitted tunics, pants, and accessories after Parapet was over, but not flight leathers.

There is no point handing out the thicker, more protective combat uniforms when half of us won't be around Threshing in October. There is a big change I won't make it to my birthday because ironically, I am born on the day of Threshing. So, if making it that far and getting a dragon would be a lovely birthday present. Do you hear me gods.

The armored corsets Mira made Violet and me aren't regulation, but we do fit right in among the hundreds of modified uniforms.

After the last twenty-four hours and one night in the first-floor barracks, talking to Liam and Xaden, I start to realize that this quadrant is a strange mix of we-might-die-tomorrow hedonism and brutal efficiency in the name of the same reason.

"Dougal Luperco." There are called sixty names or something, but I lost count when he I heard Dylan's name a few minutes ago. Poor Dylan, his girlfriend now a widow. Oh wait you have to marry someone to become a widow. My bad. 

I try to remember everyone's names as a game to test my memory, but I was never good at remembering things. Main reason for me not to become a scribe.

There are a hundred and fifty-six of us on the first floor of the dormitory building, our beds positioned in four neat rows in the open space. But I think it will get less crowded soon.

Even though Jack Barlowe was put in the third-floor dorms, I am not about to let any of them see any weaknesses. Not until I known who I could trust. Wow I sound so badass saying that. Private rooms are like flight leathers - you didn't get one until you survive Threshing.

"Simone Casteneda." Captain Fitzgibbons closes the scroll. "We commend their souls to Malek." The god of death.

There was no formal conclusion to the formation, no last moment of silence. That was just it. I hope that I won't reach that scroll soon.

The names on the scroll left the dais with the scribes, and the silence is broken as the squad leaders all turn and begin to address their squads.

"Hopefully you all ate breakfast because you're not going to get another chance before lunch," Dain has been staring at Violet for the past twenty minutes but now he finally ripps his gaze away. If he hadn't, I was already considering stabbing his eyes.

"He's good at pretending he doesn't know you," Rhiannon whispers at our side and I snort.

"He is," Violet replied. Now I am full out laughing but quite down at the looks I receive.

"Second and third years, I'm assuming you know where to go," Dain continues as the scribes wound their way around the edge of the courtyard to my right, heading back to their quadrant.

Man, I feel bad for the third years who must listen to a rule loving second year.

There was a mutter of agreement from the senior cadets ahead of us. As first-years, we are in the back two rows of the little square that makes up Second Squad.

"First-years, at least one of you should have memorized your academic schedule when it was handed out yesterday." Have I already mentioned that remembering stuff is not my thing. I fully rely on Violet with this kind of stuff. "Stick together. I expect you all to be alive when we meet this afternoon in the sparring gym."

Sparring is one of the things I am confident in. After training for years with Liam AND Xaden I think I can manage. I hope.

"And if we're not?" the smart-ass first-year behind me asks. I don't bother looking at him, and neither does Violet, but Rhiannon does, rolling her eyes as she turns back forward. Oehhh maybe enemies to lover?

"Then I won't have to be concerned with learning your name since it will be read off tomorrow morning," Dain answers with a shrug.

Yeez, I didn't know Dain could be sassy. This is something I hadn't expected when I got out of bed this morning.

"Sawyer?" Dain looks at the first year to my right.

"I'll get them there." The tall, wiry cadet whose light complexion was covered with a smattering of freckles answers with a tight nod. He is one of the repeats - a cadet who didn't bond during Threshing and now has to start the entire year over. Like I told you I would rather die then do this again. So, my respect you have buddy.

"Get going," Dain orders, and our squad breaks apart around the same time the others did, transforming the courtyard from an orderly formation to a crowd of chatting cadets. The second and third years, including Dain, walk off in another direction.

"We have about twenty minutes to get to class," Sawyer shouts at the sight of us first-years. "Fourth floor, second room on the left in the academic wing. Get your shit and don't be late." He doesn't bother waiting for us to confirm we'd heard him before he heads off toward the dormitory.

A bird whistles to the left, and I look over the crowd because I immediately recognize the tone. Dain. The call sounds again, and I narrow it down to somewhere near the door to the rotunda. He is standing at the top of the wide staircase, and he gestures toward Violet.

I roll my eyes but tell her: "Go, we will grab your stuff."

A/N

A/N

A shorter chapter, just like the one before.  I hope you enjoyed. Please comment.

Until next update <3

1076 Words