[𝟎𝟏; prisoner of the stars iii]

For a traveller as seasoned as her that trip to the surface was rather unreal

For a traveller as seasoned as her that trip to the surface was rather unreal. Their limited party encountered no danger and, if she didn't know any better, she would've thought that The Chasm was a simple caver still to be discovered by monsters.

It was peaceful, too peaceful. For quite a while they didn't even see the slightest shade of a monster, as if they've all been swallowed by that darkness. That impression took hold of her until, when she saw a ruin guard from afar, Lumine let out a relived sigh.

"Hah, that's creepy. Why isn't there even a slime around?" her companion asked.

from the front of the line, Lumine shrugged her shoulders "...maybe someone was assigned to wipe them out"

Paimon brought an arm on her hip, seeming skeptic. "Paimon doesn't get it, why should someone spare things like that? It's not like someone can't see them, anyways" upon not receiving an answer Paimon continued. "Luckly, we didn't run into any Black Serpents Knights, though"

"Serpent what...?" you asked with confusion, showing however an hint of child-like curiosity.

"Uh... well, those guys used to be Khaenri'ahn guards but they ended up here after its fall" Paimon explained briefly.

"Kha.. Khaenri'ah?" you repetad that name as if trying to get familiar with that name. Lumine glanced quickly at your expression, catching a glimpse of something.

(Even now she was curious. The flash that crossed your face disappeared in the same way it had appeared: fleeting as a dream once awake. Because of this elusiveness, she felt convinced that what she had seen was actually the fruit of fatigue accumulated during her journey)

The rest of the voyage was filled with conversation, with you asking incessant questions about the outside world, and by the time the party reached the surface you had already gathered enough information about the seven nations.

As soon as they stepped down from the hoist used by the miners to transport men and resources, Paimon began to ruminate on Liyue, first pronouncing on Chasm and then pointing out glimpses of the Jade Chamber and the mountains on which the adepti were said to dwell. But her words were interrupted as soon as she heard your pained groan.

She said her name, her voice tainted with concern while you held your head. "Are you ok?"

"The light... It's..."

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

Lumine fell silent, stopping her narration. Pretending to be catching her breath, she gazed at them expectantly. They tilted their head curiosity, as if quietly inquire why was her recount interrupted.

Eyes of molten gold met theirs as an unspoken question was asked. In that gaze, they saw an hint of concern for their wellbeing. They nodded slightly, inhaling while gazing at the Wangshu Inn's nocturnal landscape. "It will take a while before the lantern rite starts..." after a brief pause, they spoke again "before the new year I would've love to hear about my former self once more"

(a/n): i still have no clue whenever I should add or not romance to this fic😭