Goodnight, Baby Girl

Start from the beginning

The one difference is that she now leads the way instead of lagging behind, which shouldn't be much of a worry — what unsettles her, however, is how unusually quiet Joel is.

Looking back a few times, she notices how the old man keeps massaging his chest as if there's pain there.

"Are you sure you're alright, Joel?" The woman asked.

Joel just nods back with a hum and quickens his pace.

That kind of response doesn't convince her, but she decides to drop it for now; she's aware of what particular day it is today for Joel, hence, this could be the reason for his behavior.

In Joel's mind, there's something else prodding bothering him deeply... enough to prod his conscience.

Despite the many years that passed since the incident with the Fireflies, and after archiving it in the back of his memories to hopefully be forgotten, suddenly it's ringing loudly in the forefront, as if screaming in both ears at once.

After everything that followed since that lie he told Ellie, he ponders whether the girl back then truly believed him or realized the truth deep down but decided to bury it like he did.

Is he starting to regret it, now? After all this time?

Suddenly, a creak halts them in their tracks, and they hunch low to hear the source of that sound.

"Hear that?" Ellie whispers.

They peel their ears further to listen for the faint wheeze of a dear up ahead; from the low baritone, it sounds like a matured male, which is just what they need.

Ellie unsheathes her bow and arrow while Joel takes out his hunting rifle before they crouch even lower to begin their long stalk for their prey.

The young woman, having grown very efficient with her said weapon, leads him through the dense barks and foliage, making sure to make as minimal sounds as possible, such as accidentally stepping on a branch.

Soon enough, they find their prey minding its own business as the animal idles in its natural habitat, unsuspecting of any danger... they hope.

As Ellie draws her first arrow, Joel begins a small coughing fit, soreness returning to his chest. The deer quickly hears that noise and turns tail to flee, much to their disappointment.

"Joel!"

Ellie's initial annoyance drops into frightful concern once she sees her man clutching his chest like he's about to have a heart attack. She rushes over to help him, only to be waved off.

Joel shortly gathers himself as he manages a few deep breaths. "I'm... I'm fine..." He says in between his heavy intakes.

"You're seriously worrying me today."

"Nah..." He stands, having to put in extra leg muscle and straightens up as he faces the direction where the deer disappeared off to. "Just my age catching up."

Ellie doesn't like the sound of that. "I should have let you stay."

He turns back to her with a raised eyebrow. "And do what?"

"I don't know... help Tommy with engineering the new circuits."

"I could, but..." He then clears his throat. "I'm not so used to being surrounded by that many people. I'd much rather be out here where it's quiet."

Ellie nods, understanding. "That makes two."

After that brief exchange, they go on their way in hopes of salvaging their hunt, despite their now slimming chances.