"Your leg," he mouthed. I realised what he meant. He wanted me to lean against him for support. I calculated the cost of moving away and decided to listen to him this once. I leaned against him awkwardly and the pressure on my injured leg lifted. This close, I could hear his breathing and feel the tension in his muscles. My eyes wandered to his face. He betrayed no emotions on his face as always. I would have thought that he was unfazed by everything if not for this close distance. He merely looked calm from the outside. On the inside, he must be as nervous at being found out as me. I looked away quickly when I realized that I was staring at him for too long. Feeling uneasy at our close proximity, I shifted my focus back to Gladion.

After what seemed like eternity, Gladion finally left his room. After making sure that he was not going to come back, I stepped away from Zander and out from behind the divider.

"What are you doing here?" Zander watched me warily.

"I should be asking you the same," I threw his question back at him.

We had a stare down.

"We're now on the same boat. If you make the boat sink, you'll sink too."

"I don't need you to tell me that," he answered coldly and left the room.

That was close. I exited the room hurriedly in case Gladion decided to turn back. Back in my room, I sighed. What do I do now? Should I give up on looking for the map? No, I guess I'll just have to wait for another opportunity to present itself. I'm burning with curiosity. What exactly could Zander be looking for?

******************************

Fortunately, my leg healed quickly. Only a small sting of pain was left when I jumped on my feet. Time for training. I prepared myself and made my way down to the battle courtyard. Ducan is not here yet. I guess I'm too early. I spotted a tree and an idea sparked in my head. I'm going to try and climb that tree. I will prove that I'm capable of doing it too. Not knowing where to start, I circled the tree in inspection. The tree was quite tall and the lowest branch was far beyond my reach. After clapping my hands together to mutter a silent prayer, I stepped onto the tallest tree root and wrapped my arms around its trunk. Lifting one leg, I tried to find a firm footing on the woody trunk. I slipped as I tried to climb it numerous times and grazed my arms and knee. Why is this so hard?

"Fortis?" Ducan jogged towards me with a quizzical look on his face.

I swept my pants with my hands. Glaring at the tree, I promised that I would conquer it one day.

"Hey," I replied and walked towards Ducan.

"What happened?" he pointed to the scratches on my hands.

"I tried to climb a tree," I sighed in exasperation. "Never mind about that. We can start now."

"Is your leg better now?" he asked in concern.

"Yup, I can run now."

"That's good, but tell me if your leg hurts. We'll be doing basic striking and defending techniques today."

I nodded.

"First, lift your two fists up. They should always protect the side of your face," Ducan demonstrated.

I lifted my fists up. "Like this?"

"No, it's too far from your face."

Ducan repositioned my fists.

"Like this. The fist that you're not throwing out must always be in that position or your face will be left vulnerable to attacks."

"Oh okay," I made a mental note to myself.

"Which is your power leg?"

"Sorry?" I asked. What's that?

"The leg that is more powerful," he explained.

"Oh, my right leg I guess?" I replied after thinking for awhile.

"Okay that is your rear leg. Your left leg will be your lead leg,"

I switched the positions of my legs immediately.

"Your legs should be shoulder-width apart. Now bent your knees slightly. They should be facing me so that I can't break it by kicking the back of your knee."

Listening seriously to his every instructions, I followed. He made a better teacher than Zander.

Ducan lifted his hands up with his palms facing me. "Try to throw a punch at me."

Remembering Zander's words, I placed my centre of gravity on my hind leg as I threw my fist forward.

"That's good," Ducan commented and I smiled. I did it.

"But there's something else you have to take note of. When you strike, your shoulder must be raised close to your face so that it will still be protected."

I nodded and tried again.

"Yup, that's it!" he smiled.

Next, he taught me how to kick. Keeping what he mentioned in mind, I turned my left leg as I prepared to kick him with my right leg at waist level. Spotting the back-view of Zander at the entrance as he walked away, I faltered, resulting in an epic miss.

"Are you okay? Is your leg hurting?" Ducan immediately inquired.

"No I'm fine. Sorry, I was just momentarily distracted."

What's Zander doing here?

Ducan looked around in puzzlement and then smiled coyly.

"What?" I demanded. What's with that smile?

"Sorry," he coughed. "I know I can be quite a distraction."

I stared at him, unable to believe that he had just praised himself.
"Oh god. Exactly how big is your ego?"

He stroked his chin and pretended to think.

"Not too big actually. Just enough to get me by," he beamed.

"Oh you are too modest," I placed the back of my hand on my forehead and pretended to faint.

"I'll try to be less perfect," he wagged his brows.

Just then, the breakfast bell rang.

"Yes, truly. I would have to take my leave now milord," I bowed and ran away, leaving him in the battle courtyard.

It's time to fill my rumbling stomach. I wonder what's served for breakfast today.

He caught up to me easily. "Why did you run off without me? I'm hungry too."

"Because."

"Because?" he asked.

"Just because."

To think the first friend I make is from a different land, I thought with a smile. Friend. I have one now, right?