Chapter 26

Their next meeting in the middle of the night was a disaster.

But it managed to work out after a few bits of convincing and persuading. One person agreed, then the next and then the whole group agreed, that's how it worked.

During the days, people packed secretly and during the night they showed Kenna and Faye what they have. To no surprise, people packed a lot, and most of the things were useless things. It took many arguments and ranting to make people leave those things behind as they all scowled a look at them before they left it behind.

Gibson and Annika still remained the same to them, especially Annika. It was like she never knew her and Faye. Although her brother still remained warm to Kenna, there were less jokes and words between them now.

Faye contacted her father at night when there weren't any meetings. And like Faye promised, she managed to talk her father to it. So the original plan is still in place, prepare everyone to move, get Kenna and Lina out of the Circumstantial Captivity after her visit, meet with the group and let Faye lead them to the real meeting spot that her father is waiting at.

It sounded so simple and easy that it almost felt unreal. But sometimes it also feels like it already happened, and everything worked out perfectly.

She and Faye never really discussed what will happen afterwards, like what's awaiting for them after all of this. Where will they go other than this City? What is that place like? What kinds of people are there? The only conversation they had about it barely got Kenna anywhere, it ended before it even really started.

It was when they came back from dinner and Faye stopped to talk to her.

"There's something I never really told you about."

She felt an unease creep up her shoulders. "Yeah?"

"It's...something about this world we live in. It was decades ago but something happened that caused—actually never mind. It's too hard to explain, I think it's better for you to see it in person."

She should've said something after that but she didn't. And now she doesn't know anything and she couldn't stop thinking about it. But there was more to worry about, the plan.

Hours by hours turned into days, then two weeks had gone by so quickly it felt like a whirl of the wind. And tonight was the day for her visit. Her last visit with that monster. Her last day here.

She laid in her bed and looked out the window, the twilight sky starting to be swallowed by a black pit of darkness. There's no stars tonight, and the moon is barely visible. She flipped on her watch and glanced at the time, 12:40, there was still about an hour left before she got picked up. The tracker now laid out on her palm felt cold and sticky as she gripped it tightly. This was happening, it was really happening.

Her pills rested on her desk, it almost felt as if it's calling out to her. She looked away from the container and tried to focus on something else. She had stopped taking the pills because they weren't stopping her feelings for Faye. And if Faye was right about there being some kinds of after effects of the pills that also stopped her from taking them. But still, whenever things felt like too much, she wanted to dump a handful into her mouth.

She knows that she isn't the only nervous one tonight, everyone here is nervous about what's to happen. But they don't know the other part of the plan, it was to save her best friend. Faye is to march them to Circumstantial Captivity letting them think that it's the meeting spot. The meeting spot is somewhere else though, Faye hasn't precisely mentioned where to her but that's not important right now. She felt selfish doing it, but Lina is her best friend and she traded her own life for Kenna, she had to save her. Lina would've done the same for her.