with a smile she faced the customers from behind the register. "how may i help you today?"

"where's loretta?"

"she's at home resting. i'll be taking over today, maybe even permanently. is that okay with you?" she asks, genuinely.

the older man furrowed his eyebrows not sure if she was being smart with him or if she was genuinely asking. it was hard to tell from the way she smiled. "it could be. you two related?" he did before nodding to the blueberry scone watching her start to bag it up.

"mhm. she's my grandmother." she neatly folded the bag, "coffee?"

"yeah, i'll take a cup." he responded gruffly.

"$6.34 is your total for today." after that transaction she handled a couple more and it slowed down for awhile so, genesis decided on getting started in making the beignets.

it was her favorite thing to make in school and she was sure her grandma wouldn't mind her adding another thing to the menu.

she didn't know how much time had passed being so busy she didn't even hear the bell ringing singling someone had walked in.

"hey, genny! sorry i'm late."

genesis looked up and smiled at her best friend since she was practically in pampers. "isn't it your day off? did grandma call you?"

clementine nodded her head grabbing an apron to tie on then making her way behind the counter kissing her friends cheek sweetly. "she said you could've used some help."

"yeah, well, thank you for coming. some of the customers were pretty rude."

"they're just not used to seeing new faces." she reaches out to cup genesis' face and gently squeezes, "no matter how pretty." she teases making a kissy noise.

genesis giggles removing her face from her grip.

clementine claps her hands together. "what would you like me to do today, chef?"

"ugh, don't call me that." she shakes her head, "can you prep the coffee cakes, please?"

"yes, chef."

genesis playfully sighs before continuing to make the beignets, happy to have some company with her.

"h-hey."

genesis jumps slightly and the man in front of her was quick to apologize, "my bad. i'm sorry i didn't mean to-"

"no, you're fine i'm sorry i just got distracted." she rubs her hands over her apron and greets him with a smile, "how can i help you today?"

"just a bagel and a black coffee, please."

clementine peeps her head out from the back. "sup, carmy."

"hey, clem."

genesis couldn't hide her facial expression. that seemed like an awful order especially with all the other delicious pastries they offered.