000.

𐙚

GENESIS was special. the kind of special where you feel as if you've known her for years by the end of the conversation. her mother had always told her that she was god's gift and she carried that with her.

baking was something that brought their little family together. grandma loretta loved it and got sherry into it who tried to pass it on to her first daughter, jasmine but to no avail so when she was blessed with a second daughter who loved baking as much as she did, well sherry was ecstatic.

in the 90's grandma loretta and her mother put up enough money to get their own bakery shop. occasionally, after school genesis would help out with washing the fruits for pies and cleaning around the shop.

genesis loved being in the kitchen so much she went to culinary school instead of college. she had so much fun and met so many interesting people while also getting to create the most delicious pastries in the most beautiful city in the world, paris.

she spent three years decorating cakes, accidentally cutting herself whenever she sliced bread, and getting yelled at whenever she made a mistake.

all of that, she went through, and on the day of her final test she giddily put on her uniform and made sure she had everything she needed before leaving her sublet apartment to walk to her school only to receive a phone call from her grandmother.

her mother had passed.

the woman that devoted every single part of her life to and for her was gone and she was 4,135 miles away.

so, she dropped out, packed all of her bags, and booked the earliest flight for a one way trip to chicago.

the funeral didn't feel real. it honestly felt like her sense of self was watching her physical body from the outside. especially when she watched her mothers body being lowered into the ground and then half an hour later everyone was eating like it was all fine and dandy.

it wasn't.

when everything was all over and she entered her childhood home with her grandmother and sister in silence, genesis couldn't shake the guilt. she should've been here, with them, for them.

and in that moment she realized her grandmother wasn't getting any younger and with her sister being busy working in the hospital she couldn't just up and leave again.

she decided on staying in chicago indefinitely and helping her grandmother run the bakery meeting a certain stressed out chef along the way.

i've gotten so use to writing social
media books. i forgot got to write
a prologue yikerssss