Chapter 2 | The Mission at Paradis

Start from the beginning

"What's your deal, Porco?" I put my two cents in now having enough of anything that comes out of his mouth. I stood over the other side of Reiner now. Though it's not my main concern that Reiner was getting bullied, I'd offer to beat Porco up just for the pure enjoyment of doing so.

"He's had enough, Porco!"

"Anyone can whine about how much they hate the island! That's why you'll be doing it here for another 13 years," Marcel was holding him back with both arms. Porco pushes back and gives up the fight he was putting up. He then stomps away with a growl, "Porco!"

"Come on, Pieck, Let's go."

I bring my attention back to Annie and her encounter with the bug. I look down at the ground to see the bug was now squished flat on the ground. Most of its limbs had become detached.

"Hurry after us as soon as you're done crying. I'll catch another beating if you're late."

"Reiner. I'm sorry," I hear Marcel say before his footsteps are heard leaving.

"Get up, Reiner. Here."

Annie looks up, making me look up at her. I offer her nothing but my gaze.

"I have to become Marleyan, so I can live with my mom and dad. I can't wait thirteen years! But it's like he said, I-I'm weak," it sounds like he's started crying. I break eye contact with Annie and turn to the boy on the ground.

"It isn't Porco's decision to make. And well, loyalty's more important than he might think. Right, Annie? Juliet?" Bertholdt looks in our direction. I open my mouth to talk but Annie speaks up before me, "Huh? Dunno. I was distracted." She runs off after saying a few words.

"Don't lose hope, Reiner," I look down at him. I offer him a hand to get up. There's no use being mean to each other if there's a possibility of us having to go to Paradis together.

As soon as he got up, we headed on our way, "So, this goal of yours, are you sure it's what you want?"

"Huh?"

"You get 13 years, and that's it." One of the things mom always used to bring up when arguing about becoming a warrior. Would it really be worth the respect if it meant only thirteen years with me?

"He's got a point."

Both of them stop walking. "But I'll be a hero for every one of them," Reiner gains a sense of confidence, "If I can defeat the devils of Paradis, I'll have saved the whole world. And after that, my parents'll be proud to call me son."

I've decided I had enough of this conversation and I walk ahead of them in hopes of running into Annie on my way.

The next time we were all together was the day we were inheriting our Titans. I had been told that I was picked to inherit the Fighting Titan. Both of my parents were beyond proud of the news. Father was more excited of course.

I can't remember the day I inherited the Titan though. All I can recall is waking up 15 meters taller than I usually am. Commander Magath said that was completely normal, as long as I had full consciousness in my Titan. We had a test run with our Titans against a smaller nation that was attacking Marley. With all of the Titans being there, the nation fell within seconds of us arriving.

Coming back to Marley, we were celebrated with a parade that made me feel very rewarded. Also, now I was an honorary Marleyan and so was my mom. I'm glad Mom got something good out of this.

I was only given a moment to celebrate with my parents before we were sent off to Paradis. Before I knew it Annie, Bertholdt, Reiner, Marcel, and I were on a boat, then on horses trying to get further into Paradis.