Prologue {edited}

9 years ago
The underground district

The murky mud-infused water vibrated as slowly I regained consciousness, the more my body moved, the more frequent small waves where resonate around me. Upon initially gaining consciousness again, there was nothing, all my senses were mixed and in distraught. A deafening silence rung throughout my ear, a fuzzing numbness stung throughout my body, a blinding white light voided my vision. Slowly but surely my senses came back as the cries of my baby brother brought me back to reality.

Disoriented and scared, my body took control and moved on instinct. Disregarding the splatters of blood sprawled across the ground and torn pieces of flesh I picked up my crying brother and held him close however as I looked down the umbilical cord was bleeding out which in turn caused my brother to look pale. Dehydration, disorientation, lightheadedness and fatigue all caused me to have black out moments. At one moment I'd be in the unknown area and the next the prime area in the underground district until finally came the stairs leading up to the surface.

A military police officer came up to me as my dying brother laid crying in my arms. Pointing his firearm at me at point blank he stared me down "Back off, scum." He said. "My brother needs a proper doctor." My voice was croaky and barely audible "The surface doctors don't treat people like you, get lost before I shoot you and your little shit of a brother" He said as he nudged my eye socket with the tip of his gun. Tears swelled in my eyes and my hand clutched tightly onto the cloth my brother was wrapped in "No! He's dying, he's sick! Help him! Why won't you? You can, so you will! If you won't I'll make you!" I shouted to the point my voice broke.

The entirety of my body shook with unruled anger, a rage that boiled in the pit of my gut overflowed into every crevice of my veins, deep into the blood they circulated within as my brother was torn from my hands and knocked to the ground with one fatal swing from the police enforcer. The knife that was used to cut open my mother was the same to take this officers life but instead of cutting someone open to bring life into the world I was doing for one sole reason, to murder.

One by one, each individual, military police or not were slaughtered like worthless cattle. The pent up anger of my Father's abandonment, all the beatings caused by the military, the weeks when I was starved because of the lack of food, the anger of my mothers death and finally my baby brother, a baby; the epitome of innocence struck down by Mankind's malice, a man. The volume of my voice had been brought down to nothing higher than a whisper.

A knife which took a dozen lives now pressed up against the thirteenth throats "a doctor, now." My voice was soft-spoken and aerie, similar to an empty tunnel that echoed again and again. The man nodded excessively and scrambled away. Minutes went by but thankfully for both my brothers life and the ones of those still breathing a doctor came frantic of the brief information the military officer had given him.

The doctors worried eyes shifted from soldier to soldier as they laid there either dead or on the brink of. However as soon as the doctor went to help one of the dying soldiers I decided to make my presence known by grabbing the sharp end of my knife and with a sharp flick of my wrist threw the small blade to where it narrowly missed the doctors overgrown nose "Him first, then these poor excuses of men." I said in a quiet tone of voice as my arms moved forward slightly to gesture to my little brother that laid cradled in my arms.

Hesitant, the doctor soon agreed and took the pale baby from my arms. His glasses glistened and visible sweat dripped down the side of his forehead. The background noises soon became nothing and a deafening silence rang loudly through my ears. Adrenaline left my body as the sight of my baby brother laid in a doctors hands. My body became heavy and soon enough everything went black.

The sound of a baby nagging woke me, groggy and slightly disoriented my head lifted from the dirt ground and swayed from left to right. Attempting to walk was a mission like none other, such a simply task was now seemingly impossible. Upon opening my eyes was the sight of the blood splatters across the ground and nearby objects. Mere flashes were all that remained in my memory from those intense moments. Those flashes however flooded my mind on a constant loop, glimpses of the pure dread spread across the officers faces as I cut them down stamped themselves in the back of my mind.

A pit in my stomach grew the more my mind thought of it. In the moment they were nothing but obstacles but now, now they were real human beings that I had killed, their blood was something I was drowning in. Overflowing with grief, tears stained my cheeks for what seemed like hours. An aerie silence drove my ears to deafness as my screams drew out into a few croaky cries. My knees had become red as my entire weight had been forced upon them and for a few seconds my mind was blank, my tears were now nonexistent and my eyes puffy.

My brother was centimetres from me, wrapped in a small white clothe. Similar to myself, he has stopped crying and was now letting out small baby noises. As I forced one foot in front of me, my entire body felt like it was being weighed down by one thousand tons. After hours of inch by inch movements my brother was finally back in my arms.

As my legs trembled and struggled to hold my weight and brother I bit on to my lip to stop any noises from coming out. Things which should be easy were borderline impossible. Merely walking was a mission which I found

As the days passed by, my younger brother Leo and I wandered the grimy streets of the underground district. We were like shadows among the darkness, unnoticed and unloved. From a tender age, I took on the role of protector and caregiver for Leo, scavenging for food scraps, avoiding the dangers lurking in the alleys, and fending off anyone who dared to threaten us.

Despite the harsh reality of our existence, I did my best to provide Leo with moments of joy and laughter amidst the chaos. I would tell him stories of a world beyond the tunnels, where the sun kissed the earth and the sky stretched out endlessly. I would draw pictures in the dirt with a makeshift stick, creating imaginary landscapes where we could escape our harsh reality, if only for a moment. But as Leo grew older, the burden on my shoulders became heavier. I watched as hunger gnawed at his stomach and sickness weakened his body. There were nights when I held him close, praying for a miracle to spare us from our suffering. Yet, despite the odds stacked against us, I refused to give up hope.

Then one fateful day, our lives took an unexpected turn. A man, clad in dark clothing and exuding an aura of power, stumbled upon us as we huddled in a dimly lit alley. His piercing gaze bore into me, assessing me with a mixture of curiosity and intrigue. "You have potential," the man said, his voice like gravel scraping against stone. "But you need guidance." With those words, my fate was sealed. The man took us under his wing, offering us shelter, food, and a purpose. He trained me relentlessly, honing my skills in combat, stealth, and manipulation.I became his protege, his prized possession in a world where strength was the ultimate currency.

Under his tutelage, I transformed from a mere survivor into a formidable assassin. I learned to move like a shadow, to strike with precision, and to erase my presence from the minds of those I targeted. With each passing day, I shed more of my humanity, becoming a weapon forged in the fires of adversity.

Yet, amidst the bloodshed and betrayal, I never forgot my promise to Leo. I kept him close, shielding him from the darkness that threatened to consume us both. I taught him what little I knew, instilling in him the same resilience and determination that had sustained me throughout the years.Together, we navigated the treacherous underworld, leaving a trail of bodies in our wake. We became legends among the denizens of the underground, whispered tales of two siblings who were more deadly than any weapon forged by man. But as I grew stronger, so too did the doubts that lingered in the depths of my soul.

The Underground district
Present day

The dim light above me flickered, shadows cast on the cracked floor In front of my feet. Nicholas, aoife, Lea and Tobias stood in front of me holding their own individual weapons which they had trained with for years. Grime and dirt was smeared on their faces. Kazz and Leo were standing to the side. It was the early hours of the morning and training hadn't finished. But I was determined to be the best version of myself and give my brother the life he deserves, so despite being exhausted, my body edging to give in and collapse to the ground, I just simply couldn't, I couldn't give up while he was their watching me. The world we live in is cruel, I know that as a fact and when something eventually comes to threaten him I want to protect him, like how I wished for myself to be when I was a kid too.