The First Rays Of The Sun

ابدأ من البداية

It was clear now. Nothing could come between them and nothing would stop Minji from protecting the most valuable thing she had ever had. 

***

Minji pulled a shirt on and tied her hair up on a messy ponytail. She then walked out of the bedroom and looked around. A small smile formed on her lips as she noticed Hanni sitting on one of the sofas, scrolling on her phone. The small woman raised her head and smiled warmly as Minji took a seat in front of her. Minji saw how Hanni took a deep breath in, as if she was nervous. Then she opened her mouth. 

"So..." she twirled the phone in her hand before placing it on the table, "We should probably start from the most critical thing," she sighed and her face darkened.

"KSA is after you, isn't it?"

Minji's smile vanished the moment she heard the name of the company. "Yes," she admitted gloomily, "I suppose they are."

She didn't want to say it out loud, but it was true. For some reason the CEO of KSA had made Minji her target and she was even willing to go as far as to send a group of special forces after her. Minji wasn't sure what they wanted from her but she wasn't delighted by the extra pressure on her work. And judging by Hanni's expression, Hanni didn't seem to be thrilled by the thought either. 

"Do you have any idea why they chase you?" 

"No, I was hoping that you'd tell me," Minji grinned, earning an eye roll from Hanni. "It may have something to do with the fact that I interfered with your missions. But if they wanted me dead, why beat around the bush like this?" She thought, out loud.

"KSA is on top of their game for a reason, they're not just going to blow up buildings because they want one person dead. They'd make sure no one would find out."

"Well whether they want me dead or not, you are even in greater danger," Minji pointed out. She could see Hanni stiffening, "Your boss doesn't seem like the type to let it go just like that. You've already been helping me, and if we continue like this you might get cau-"

"Minji," Hanni interrupted suddenly, "I want to do this."

Minji fell silent.

"I'm done with running. I knew the risks when I decided to help you and I don't regret any of it."

"But KSA–" Minji began.

"I still want to work for them. I am loyal to them. But if I had to choose between them or you, I'd choose you. A million times."

Minji was speechless, she had never seen Hanni so determined and her words made a warm feeling appear in her chest. She smiled slightly, although she couldn't shake the odd feeling in her stomach. She knew Hanni was loyal to her company so what had she expected? That Hanni would leave them and start working for her? 

No way.

"I'll protect you, okay? I won't let them do anything bad to you," Minji promised, looking right into Hanni's eyes.

"I know, I trust you," the Vietnamese smiled, but her smile was weak, "I'm just worried. If Lisa..."

Immediately, Minji clenched her jaw. 

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to–" Hanni rushed as she noticed the expression on Minji's face. 

"No, it's okay, I don't care," Minji averted her gaze coldly, "she's nothing to me now." 

There was a silence. Minji didn't dare to look Hanni in the eye for the fear that her lie would be exposed as soon as she did. She prayed that even one of them would believe it.