Top 15 moments of the series

Today is the third anniversary of that series victory, and for the first time in two months, it doesn't hurt thinking of the World Cup--because yes, my team never got a World Cup, but they got something even rarer--and all 19s aren't bad.

***

1. Kohli and Rahane's counterattacking partnership on Day 1 of the Adelaide Test (before the run out, that is).

2. India's bowling in the first innings of the Adelaide Test, on Day 2, where they bundled Australia out for 190 (would have been much lesser if not for Paine's fighting half century and a couple of dropped catches and a controversial run out not given), that set the tone for a series that the Indian fast bowlers will steal.

3. Ashwin getting Smith dance to his tune in the first two Tests such that he started avoiding strike when Ashwin would come to bowl nearing lunch in their 2nd innings of MCG.

4. Jassi bowling out Smith in the 2nd innings of MCG post lunch around the leg side.

5. Stand-in captain Rahane's century at the MCG that had the word 'fighter' writ large all over it.

6. Pujara and Pant's partnership in the second innings of the SCG, where they tried to go for the victory, one slow and anchoring, the other hitting berserk.

7. Jadeja being padded up to bat in spite of a broken thumb in the second innings of SCG.

8. Ashwin and Vihari's partnership in the second innings of SCG, where thanks to a hamstring tears, Vihari couldn't run and they knew they could no longer go for the win, and they chose to battle their bodies and the opposition into possibly the grittiest draw in history, a draw that was more a victory than most victories.

9. Washington and Shardul's unbelievable partnership in the first innings at the Gabba, that brought down the trail from 200 to less than 60.

10. Siraj's five wicket haul in the second innings at the Gabba, leading a pace attack 5-Tests old, and Shardul, the one on four wickets, who could've got the five wickets too, applauding him the loudest.

11. Pujara's knock in the second innings at the Gabba, taking blow after blow on his body and refusing to back off.

12. Rishabh Pant's unforgettable knock in the second innings at the Gabba.

13. Washington's six off Pat Cummins in the second innings at the Gabba that sparked off India's final burst.

14. The Indian team doing a round with the tricolour at the Gabba, with the young heroes, Pant, Gill and Shardul holding the flag by turn.

15. "It goes...as far as the fence! India incredible...India win the Test... They win the series... And they win the hearts and minds of cricket fans all around the world..."

"Toota hai Gabba ka ghamand...jeet gayi hai muqabla Bharat..."

"Border Gavaskar trophy jayegi Gavaskar ke desh!"

***

Tell me those lines don't float in your ears in the exact tone every time you feel down. 

Tell me those aren't the best lines you've heard.

***

And it's so weird, because the 2011 World Cup was the first time I watched cricket, and I remember the day clearly too, but to me, 'Toota hai Gabba ka ghamand' is bigger than 'Dhoni finishes off in style.'

I don't need a World Cup. I have the BGT 2020-21.

***

And signing off with:

"Never ever, ever underestimate the Indians." ~Justin Langer