CHAPTER 22 : Yamuna

Start from the beginning

I experienced extreme fatigue due to the frequent instances of individuals expressing their views on how women ought to be and behave in the presence of Queens, Kings, and Princes.

"You should learn how to sit, and talk when around the Queens and kings, girls." Said one of those hair dresser who did our hair on daily basis.

"That's someth---"

"A women should know how to please Prince before their marriage and their husbands instead of engaging in political affairs." She continued before I could even speak.

Subhadra placed her hand on my palm, seated closely next to me, and shot me a glance that clearly indicated I should refrain from expressing any views, as they were not ready to acknowledge our divergence in education. A sharp pain struck my chest, triggering memories from my time at the gurukul. It troubled me to recollect Ashwattama's dismissal of my opinions, making me wonder if he was referring to women and their rights. Reflecting on this, goosebumps spread across my body.

Concealed within the depths of my heart, he existed as an integral fragment of my being. I lacked the bravery to confide in Subhadra about this clandestine connection, fearing her potential judgment. Each passing day, I yearned for his presence, consumed by thoughts of what he would be doing right now, and how is he.

"You're so young, Rajkumari Subhadra. Do you ever find yourself fantasizing about anyone special?" Suddenly the hair dresser broken into my thoughts, that made Subhadra a little nervous.

"Daasi, please, can you be quiet and concentrate on the work?" Subhadra's voice was gentle but firm, a hint of annoyance seeping through.

"Ofcourse princess--"

A reddish tint spread over Subhadra's face as she couldn't make any eye contact with me, she hide her faint smile from me, but I could see her face In the mirror in front. That made a giggle a bit to her innocence. I just wanted to know i that is there someone who she admires--?

The sky transformed into a pink hue as evening approached and the temperature dropped. The month of Posh was drawing to a close, with pelicans soaring across the vast horizon. I strolled gracefully towards the Yamuna Ghat, where a majestic old Banyan tree stood overlooking the river. Its roots dangled upside down, adorned with saffron and red flags fluttering in the breeze. The melodious sound of bells signaling the start of sandhya aarti filled the air. As I made my way towards the Ghat, I noticed Duryodhan standing by the water, deep in contemplation.

He remained motionless, I noticed a transformation in him over the course of the year. He appeared stiffer now, however, the fact that he spoke to me in a very amicable manner caused me to reconsider my opinion of him. Ultimately, he was a son who was deeply desired by his blind father, and all he ever aspired to be was flawless, just like everyone else.

"Duryodhan--" I said. He turned around suddenly. He kept his hands upon his waist and peeked at the water flowing.

"Neera--" he replied with a smile appearing upon his face.

He had started calling me Neera instead of Nihira because he my name annoying and long, even though his own name was too long to speak. And sometimes I recalled Devpriya didi calling her Duri which made him so irritated that he turned red with anger.

"Where have you been, from a very long time--?" He inquired with interest after inviting me to sit down on a step at the ghat. Taking a seat next to him, I noticed a change in his demeanor. Today, he seemed more reserved compared to his usual self, where he would eagerly share about his day or express his longing for Dusassan.

"I was just busy in politics." I raised my shoulders slightly as the cold wind passed swiftly through us, causing me to shiver. Once more, the sun was seen sinking into the dark waters of the Yamuna, while children played in the background, creating a chaotic yet peaceful atmosphere.

"Politics was never your subject--" he said picking up a stone and throwing it into the river.

"Why--i have always been interested In it--" I said with a confused face.

"You were always interested in Ashwattama-- just saying." He said, while grabbing another stone, this time with a sardonic grin on his face. It was the first time I noticed a dimple on his left cheek. When I heard his name, I was shocked, and a chill ran down my spine. It felt like a crazy part of me had been awakened. I wanted to rid myself of these feelings, but how could I? He seemed to be everywhere I turned. Even in my dreams, he had become ingrained in my very existence.

"Uh--ah--wh-what." I said grasping for breath.

"Just saying, don't get to nervouse Neera, I know how you feel--"he said looking away from me.

"How do you know?" I was interrogating, attempting to gaze at him, yet all he did was avert his gaze towards the opposite side of the ghat where children were engrossed in play. I experienced an odd sensation, as if I desired to engage in this conversation with him. Is he in communication with him? How is he? Is he still have anger towards me? Does he long for my presence? I yearned to inquire numerous questions about Ashwattama, but I had no clue how to approach it.

"He sent me a letter." He wishpered slowly.

"Really--?" My heart raced with anticipation as I burst out, feeling my face flush and my breaths grow labored. In that moment, my emotions completely took over.

"Yes, he told me about--"

"How is he? Is everything alright with him?? Tell me Duryodhan--!!" I said getting up from the steps, blocking hie view and jumping with excitement.

"Nihira, how can you love him so much--?" Out of the blue, he uttered those words, causing my smile to vanish and my expression to transform into one on the verge of tears. He maintained his gaze, anticipating a reply, but I was too shocked to utter a single word. I attempted to speak, but the words eluded me, leaving my mouth agape. All of a sudden, silence enveloped us, as the bells of the Sandhya aarti ceased their chimes, leaving only the sound of the river flowing to reach our ears. He patiently awaited a response, yet I had completely forgotten how to form coherent sentences.

"He's too rude and arrogant to you sometimes." He said, when he didn't get any response from me.

"But--" While holding an eye contact with him, he continued to play with a pebble in his hands, occasionally pausing.

"I think he loves you more than anything."

Q. Do you guys have any idea about Subhadra's secret prince ?

Q. Any hint of Duryodhan being in love ?

Thankyou so much for reading.

Please like share and comment.