"I...I'm sorry."

"No you're not! You wanted me dead, don't you? You hated me that much! With me dead, you don't have to be at my beck and call and I won't drag everyone down!" I railed out at him in between tears.

He was shocked. Or he pretended to be shock at my words.

"I don't want you dead, I didn't arrive in time because..." Zander was cut off mid-sentence when Ducan burst into the room.

"Fortis are you feeling better?" Ducan asked after looking between me and Zander. Probably trying to figure out what just happened.

I looked away and wiped my wet cheeks. "Yeah, I'm still alive."

"That bastard! I thought we were going to lose you," he clenched his fists.

I drew in a shaky breath to calm myself down. "Thank you for saving me, when someone failed their job."

"I'll leave," Zander took a final glance at me and left the room.

"What time is it now?"

"Three in the afternoon," Ducan took a glance at his watch.

I gasped. "I've been out that long?"

"Yes. Your leg will take around a few days to heal completely."

"That's fast for a broken leg," I raised my brows.

"The perk of being a Clover," Ducan grinned.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked after brooding for awhile.

"Go ahead."

"Do all clovers have healing abilities?"

"Yup, why do you ask?"

Savage must not be a Clover then. Does anyone else know? He might be from Earth or is an elemental. The Elementals are enemy of the Clovers so it's highly likely that he's not. But if he's a human, how did he get here?

"Oh just to be sure that I won't be limping for the rest of my life." It was a half-truth at least. I felt bad for keeping it from Ducan but I cannot take any more risks or depend on anyone with my tasks. I must learn how to protect myself.

"Okay, you are allowed to stay in bed and rest for these few days. Heal fast and hope to see you well soon!" Ducan smiled.

"Thanks, I owe you one for saving my life."

"I wouldn't mind if you want to marry me as payment," he smirked.

"Haha very funny," I rolled my eyes.

Ducan chuckled. "Repay me by getting well. I'd be boring for the next few days without anyone to talk to."

I managed a weak smile. "Aye captain."

He waved and exited the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I would have to solve the Savage mystery soon. If there is a way for me to go back to Earth, I could meet my mother and reassure her before coming back here to fulfill my promise. I won't have much time once training start again so I would have to make use of these resting days. I would have to talk to Gladion. But before that, I have to eat and drink something.

******************************
Beatrice, the benign looking lady whom I bumped into yesterday morning was the one who served me my meal in bed. To my disappointment, it was just a sandwich with a cup of plain water. Seeing my expression, she had explained that I had to start small since I have not eaten for more than ten hours. She left right after she served my meal, bidding me to get well soon. I was saddened. She reminded me so much of my mother. I believed that my mum was the one who had pulled me away from the reaper itself. Even if we are in different worlds, she was still there for me-even if she is just living in my unconscious. How much I miss her.

After eating, I forced myself to get out of bed to Gladion's meeting room. I have no more time to waste. Who knows what had happened to Savage during the time I was unconscious. I would never forgive him for what he had done but I pitied him too. The damage he had inflicted on me was not permanent. His was.

I rapped on the door politely, wishing that Gladion was still inside.

"Come in," his voice floated out and I let myself in.

He was shocked to see me and he spilled some of the tea that he was brewing on the table.
"Oh Fortis, how's your leg doing? Do you need anything?"

I readjusted my position on the crutch so that I would be more comfortable.

"Thanks for asking, it's already healing. Can I speak to you about something?"

Gladion weighed me for a moment before he stopped whatever he was doing. "Sure, take a seat."

I sat across from him carefully, placing my crutch just beside me on the floor.
"How was Savage dealt with?"

He smiled when he heard my question.
"Don't worry, he'll get what he deserved. Do you have any punishment in mind for him? I'd take it into consideration since you were the victim."

"No. I want you to let him off," I said seriously.

"What? You are asking me to let him off even after he almost killed you?" Gladion asked in disbelief.

I racked my brain for an answer that would not raise his suspicion.

"Well, you could say that I took pity on him. Since I managed to trick death, I have no wish to cause harm to another person."

"You are playing horribly nice. What if he tries to kill you again?"

I tried to ignore the shiver that ran down my spine. "I will not let it happen again."

"And what do you plan to do to prevent that?"

I thought for awhile. "I'll train hard so I can defend myself."

"Sorry to burst your bubble but how long will that take?"

I was speechless. It might take forever.

"I could let him go. But more people will attempt to try what he did. Are you prepared for that to happen?"

"No," I answered candidly. My speech had angered quite a number of people. I would not be so lucky next time.

"I won't release him. But since you have spoken up for him, I will let him off by spending his days locked up. Is that alright for you?"

Since my agenda was to speak to Savage, that will have to do. At least I have secured his life. It would be difficult to talk to him though.

"Yes, I understand. Are you sure that the place you are keeping Savage in is secure enough?" I treaded carefully.

"Why? Afraid that he'll get you again?"

I did not answer him.

"Don't worry. It's in the caves. The system is complicated so he'd most probably die inside even if he is lucky enough to escape his cell." Gladion said with conviction.

"Okay," It would not be easy to accomplish this task. I would have to get the current map of the caves somehow. Where will it be?

"By the way, Ducan will be taking over Zander's training duties. I will let him know later."

"Why?" I asked, surprised.

"He gave up his duties himself knowing that he had failed my expectations. Even if he didn't, I would still have made that arrangement."

I nodded. Ducan would definitely be more patient when it comes to teaching. Also, my blood still boils whenever I thought of Zander. On top of that, he would be freed from his misery. This should be the best arrangement for all of us.