Chapter One | A New Friend

Chapter Trigger Warnings: Mentions of death and bullying

Timeline: Late 1984

Authors Note: For context, Carlos was the Bonnie Bully of the FNaF 4 tormentors. As a disclaimer, there are parts of this that are not historically accurate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
POV: Adam

"It's been a year since it happened," Carlos said.

"We know," Adam and Megan responded in unison.

"Let's try not to focus on it, okay?" Amber chimed in. "Let's focus on ice cream!"

Adam couldn't argue with that. The four walked up to the counter of the little ice cream shop and placed their orders. Amber got plain vanilla in a chocolate-dipped waffle cone, Carlos got mint chip in a dish, Megan got cotton candy in a sugar cone, and Adam got his favorite of a double scoop of salted caramel in a plain waffle cone. The cashier, Jason, already knew what Carlos's, Megan's, and Adam's order would be. The three had been coming to the ice cream shop every Saturday for almost a year. The only person Jason had to ask for an order from was Amber, as this was her first time joining in on Ice Cream day.

Amber, ironically, had joined them because it was the anniversary of the accident she said they shouldn't focus on. But it was hard not to think about. Adam couldn't believe it had been a year since it had happened. He couldn't believe that it had been a year since Evan's death.

Locals nick-named it the Bite of '83. Adam hated it. It made it sound like the accident was some event out of a mystery novel rather than a tragedy. Adam hated the nick-name Carlos got. "Carlos the Killer". Carlos wasn't a killer. How was he supposed to know that Fredbear's jaw was so strong?

Adam could feel his blood begin to boil and he shook off the thought train. He needed to focus on something else. He had been through the same thought train enough. He saw the expressions on Carlos's and Megan's face and he could they too were replaying the same things. He knew they also needed to focus on something else.

"So, Amber," Adam asked, "how is college going?"

"It's been going great! My roommate is this really cool girl, super into art...." Amber began to rattle off the details of her life in college. Adam listened to every word. She talked about her roommate, her new friends, her classes, her teachers, the campus, the dorms; it sounded all so exciting to Adam. He couldn't wait to get out of small-town Utah and go off on his own college adventures. He wanted to meet new people and see new places.

But first, he had to finish high school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adam had somehow become one of the popular kids, one of the liked ones at that. Well, he figured he could guess how he became popular--because of his brother--but he couldn't figure out why people liked him. Sometimes he liked it, and sometimes he didn't.

Adam was walking down the hallway towards his first class of the day, English, when he heard his friend behind him.

"Yo, Adam, wait up!" Justin hollered.

Adam waited up.

"Hey man!" Adam said when Justin caught up to him.

"Me and the rest of the guys are headed to Freddy's after school, you wanna join?"

"Uh, well..." Adam wasn't very fond of Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. He didn't understand how people still loved the place after its predecessor literally killed a kid. It was like everyone remembered the kids who put Evan in Fredbear's mouth but no one remembered the dangerous machine that was, for no good reason, capable of crushing a human skull.