A little weird? Screw that. They were mega strange, Kaen thought to himself. It wasn't exactly like you were weird, to be honest—it was more that your sense of what was normal and what was clearly not was so tilted and completely off it made you seem...

It was concerning, actually.

"Well?" You closed your laptop, looking at him expectantly. Truth to be told, your fingers were also becoming sore from typing. And your flask that held your steaming coffee had been finished.

"You're coming to the cafe?"

"Unless you were joking, then yes."

"Good choice," Kaen gave a small smirk, "because I know the best places. There's one called Cat's eye, down the road."

"Ooh." You brightened up. "I like cats."

Kaen took your bag, slinging it over your shoulders. You were surprised at that kind gesture—yet was also slightly wary. Was he being nice to curry favor with you? To do a scheme that would involve your downfall? Or was he trying to be friends with you, after possibly being flattered by your non-existent confession? You were still extremely suspicious of Tanaka and his actions—unless they were led or created by a bigger force.

"Thank you." You said sincerely, walking next to him. "You don't really have to go that far as my work partner, you know."

"Well," Kaen smiled, dimples showing on his cheek—without smiling, he usually looked expressionless—"you're cute."

Cute? You? Cute?

Was Kaen trying to do something? After all, he was a council member. You couldn't quite bring yourself to fully trust him, considering how suspicious he was.

"Uh, thanks," you replied, a bit caught off guard. "But seriously, let's focus on the project. We can't afford to procrastinate—we have like..."

Kaen chuckled, seemingly unfazed by your attempt to redirect the conversation. "Work can wait a little. Besides, I think it's good for us to get to know each other better."

Better, you rolled that word over in your head, feeling the edges of your lip tug up, well, you did need at least one friend...

.

.

"One black coffee." You ordered at the cashier, "no sugar, no sweeteners."

Kaen observed you incredulously. Black coffee? He didn't bring you all the way to such a grand cafe, with its arching columns and a water fountain just for you to order that. Well, the cafe probably used some exclusive beans, but still!

Meanwhile, you were satisfied. The cafe was playing Mitski in the background.

Moon, tell me if I could

Send up my heart to you?

And like its name, there were arrogant, pompous cats wandering around. A cat cafe—Kaen had brought you to a cat cafe! Your reading of Kaen immediately became positive.

As you waited for your order, you took a moment to observe the cafe's surroundings. The dim lights and the aroma of brewing coffee gave the place a cozy feel. A few students huddled together in corners, engrossed in their books or laptops, probably fellow procrastinators like yourself. Well, you usually liked to procrastinate, but certain times you felt this driving need to do the work...

"There's donuts too," Kaen said offhandedly, "and cake. Biscuits. You don't have to only get that, [Name]."

The barista handed you the steaming cup of black coffee, and you noticed the way her eyes flickered over your uniforms, widening in amazement.