Masie Grant

My earphones blasted music in my ears, blocking out every other sound as I walked down the streets of Crestwood. The sky was pretty blue, and the clouds made weird shapes above me. I clung to my cardigan with my arms hugging around me. The afternoon autumn breeze gently rustled my hair and brushed against my face.

I was on my way to my aunt Sarah's flower shop. It was tradition that every Grant child help out at the family flower shop when they turn sixteen. I've been volunteering for a year now, and I never thought it would be so satisfying or peaceful to sort bouquets or help people find the perfect flower.

I reached the shop, took my earphones out, and placed them in my bag.

"Hey Aunt Sarah," I greeted.

She was walking around with a bunch of roses in her hands, looking for a spot to display them. "Hey Masie," she replied.

I made my way to the back of the shop and left my things in the storage room. I rolled my cardigan sleeves, found a pair of gloves, and put them on, heading toward my aunt.

"Did you reserve the lilies for me?" I asked. "Yup! The last one too. I left it in the back by the sink."

I replied, "Thanks!"

It was my Mom's birthday today, and she loves lilies. She told me the story of how she and Dad first met. They were in high school, and Dad had a crush on her. She said that when he asked her out, he gave her a bouquet of white lilies made by Aunt Sarah. For their wedding, Aunt Sarah made my Mom's bouquet the same way when her brother asked Mom out.

I spotted an unmade bouquet sitting at one of the tables near the window. I decided to finish up the bouquet, and then move on to something else.

I hoisted myself onto the high chair. I cut off the ends of the flowers and pulled out all the dry leaves. I grabbed a piece of purple cellophane and wrapped the bouquet of pink and white Carnations. My aunt came to check up on me and how the bouquet was coming along.

"Carnations have always been my personal favorite," she shared. I looked up for a moment and smiled with a slight chuckle. I continued to tape the cellophane when my aunt's gaze went out the window.

She gasped, giving me a shock. I peered out the window wondering what made her gasp like that. A black car pulled up in front of our shop. It looked expensive just by its shine and shape. "I've never seen this car before. Tourists?" I looked at my aunt.

She stared in awe. "Probably, and damn they're rich!"

I laughed at her excitement. I looked out the window again. The back car door opened and a boy jumped out. He was tall and slim. He wore a dark blue hoodie, a collared shirt, black jeans, and white sneakers. His hair was light brown and messy. His back faced us while he looked down into the car. The car left, leaving the guy standing on the pavement alone. My aunt's stare turned into an impressed look.

"He's handsome," she commented. She turned around and smiled at me. She headed to the front desk to work on a few orders.

I looked out the window again to look at the boy. He turned to the side with half his face in view. He had silver glasses with a thin frame on. He seemed sad or depressed as he stared down at the ground. I couldn't help but wonder why. I wondered where he was going, and why they just left him there alone when he looked the way that he did.

The guy turned his head and looked at our shop. I quickly turned back to the bouquet I was working on, hoping he didn't see me staring at him. I resumed tying a white ribbon around the bouquet.

The door opened and the bell rang telling us we had a customer. Knowing my aunt was busy, I put the finished bouquet into a display pot and took off my gloves.