Chapter 1: House Manners

Start from the beginning

"Esmeralda, you do golf, right?" I ask, helping Esmeralda move some of her suitcases into her room. "The twins told me how good you are."

"Yes, I really like golf! And you can just call me Es. We're basically friends, since you know the twins too, right? I'm really glad you're my roommate then." She pauses her movement, lowering her voice. "To be honest, I was scared that I'd room with someone who's obsessed with the royal family or something. There are people like that, you know. It's probably very far-removed from your life, but—"

"No, I get it. That'd be like having live-in paparazzi."

Es's expression is absolutely radiant, like we've just connected on a spiritual level. "You get it! Do you—sorry, we've never met before—what does your father do?"

"Land development in China," I say, shrugging it off nonchalantly. "You wouldn't have heard of him. We have family in Italy though. Have you met Gia Bianchi, my mom? Her family owned land before the wars."

Es shakes her head regretfully. "No, I have never met her."

As Es sets up her room, we chat some more about people we both know. I offer to help but she waves me off; I figured as much. She really seems like someone who wants to do everything herself. Her decoration taste is minimal and practical, and she's done in no time. "Ah," Es exclaims, collapsing onto the comfy couch in the common room, "aren't we meant to go down to the convocation luncheon soon?"

I nod, checking my watch (compact and elegant; a vintage rolex). "In ten minutes."

Es springs up, glancing around. "Where's our third roommate then?"

Their absence is unmistakable.

"Maybe they're late. I guess we should just go down without them," I say, shrugging.

Es looks uneasy but she follows me out of our dorm. The hallway is packed with luggage and people. We barely manage to navigate around the clamour to the elevators, but they're so busy that I suggest we take the stairs instead.

There's a noticeable change in Es's demeanour as we leave our room. She clams up, straightening her spine and trying awkwardly to look dignified. I watch her carefully out of the side of my eye. Is she nervous?

I guess that's better for me then. Compared to her, I must look positively dazzling.

꧁꧂

Having a princess on your side, even a socially awkward and silent princess (actually, that's even better—a shy princess doesn't overshadow you), makes you a lot of friends.

A prince of the Netherlands sat at our convocation table, as well as two daughters of Parliament members. Not to mention the son of the current president of Argentina. Even after the luncheon, there are people coming up to us as we're leaving. Es has gone completely quiet, leaving me to mediate and make small talk with all the people who've come to gawk at a princess.

When we're finally walking back to Manners House, it's a breath of fresh air. A little tension escapes Es's limbs. She sighs deeply. "Do you think I can just skip the House bonding activities later?" she asks.

I grin wickedly. "Don't you want to give autographs to all those adoring fans?" I tease.

"No!" Es exclaims fiercely. "Oh, you were joking. Well, no anyways."

I wave her off. Even if I'd rather have a princess on my side, I can do without. "Go skip if you want. I doubt they care much."

As we enter the main hall of Manners House, Es slips away and takes the stairs. That leaves me alone. I straighten up and survey the room. They're separated into clear groups. I set my sights on the loudest and the largest; they're clearly important.