First Kiss (fluff, 1k words)

a.n. thanks to @JayTheStegosaurus for this idea too!! would you guys be interested in like a full petekey story? im trying to make myself write more. love u guys!

-lane

---

"Hey, um... Gerard, truth or dare?" A young Ray, only 16, sat on the carpet in the Way brothers' basement. He was in a circle of around 7 boys. Patrick, his boyfriend, to his right, and Frank and Gerard to his left. Across from him sat Pete, Mikey, Ryan, and Brendon. Joe and Andy were there, but they were playing Mario Kart. The room was dark and they were all buzzed off of hard seltzers Gerard stole from his parents.

"I think... truth."

"How do you really feel about Frank?"

Gerard chuckled. Nobody knew they were actually dating; they had been keeping it a secret. Only Mikey knew, who shot him a knowing look from across the room.

Frank locked eyes with him and nodded, signifying that he was allowed to spill. "So, actually, we've been dating for a few months."

"MONTHS?!" Joe cried out, whipping his head around from the couch to peer over at the small congregation on the floor.

"Only, like... 3...?"

"THAT'S SO MANY!"

"Yeah!" Pete cried out, but he knew too; Mikey had just sworn him to secrecy and he would never break that vow. As he watched the group's reactions, he muttered, "Damn, I haven't even had my first kiss yet and they're all–"

"Whoa, you haven't had your first kiss?" Brendon interjected. Everyone hated him. The group fell silent and shot each other looks. He was only invited because he invited himself– they all were on Ryan's side of the breakup. It was messy.

"No, I haven't." Pete felt his face heat up.

Mikey sensed his embarrassment and blurted, "I haven't either!"

They exchanged thankful looks until Gerard said, "Mikey, truth or dare."

Oh god. Gerard was the only one who knew about Mikey's massive crush on Pete Wentz. He would stay up for hours lamenting about how aggressively straight he was to Gerard, who held him as he cried on the couch.

"Um.. truth."

"Fuck. I had a good dare!"

He laughed. "Too bad."

"Who do you want your first kiss to be with?"

Mikey glared at him as his heartbeat accelerated. Of course it would happen like this. Of course Gerard knew he and his crush hadn't had their first kisses yet. Of course Gerard would put him through this scenario that made him want to dig a hole and crawl into it. And of course his crush also happened to be his best friend who liked a different girl every week. He heard a loud crack next to him and turned to see Pete shotgunning a hard seltzer.

"Are you stupid?" Mikey laughed at him as he got covered in it. Yet, he drank it all down and wiped his face before turning to face him.

"Yeah."

"Um... anyways... I would say Pete because we're close friends so it probably wouldn't be too awkward."

When his name slipped from between Mikey's lips, Pete's stomach did somersaults. He was Mikey's choice for his first kiss? Out of everyone? He combed his fingers through his hair.

"Fair enough."

"Patrick, truth or dare?"

"Dare."

"I dare you to reveal a secret someone in this group has told you without saying who it was."

"Ooh, good one," Pete said, hitting his arm a few times out of excitement. That was one of those things he did that Mikey found endearing.

"Mikey, someone likes you."

Mikey's heart leapt into his throat as he surveyed the room. Oh God. It was Brendon wasn't it? He shook his head. "That's too bad, poor them." He laughed.

Patrick looked around the circle and chose his next victim. "Pete, truth or dare?"

"Um... dare."

"I dare you to have your first kiss with Mikey." He grinned. "I mean, he wants his to be with you, so..."

Pete looked helplessly at Patrick, who obviously knew about his massive crush on the younger Way brother. Those long summer days they spent playing bass and listening to Rancid and Danzig–

"Pete? Is that okay with you?" Mikey forced an uncomfortable smile. He was so fucking afraid. His head was spinning as a mixture of blood and adrenaline pumped through his veins.

"Um.. yeah."

"S-Should we do it?"

"I guess so." Pete wrung his hands and felt his face flush once again. He had never felt this nervous before. He was seeing stars, and he could barely think because of his heartbeat like a bass drum in his head. How is Mikey so calm right now?

Mikey was not calm. Mikey was freaking out. His hands were sweating as he pushed his glasses up his nose. Everyone was staring, their gazes felt like lasers burning holes in his skin. But as he leaned in to get closer, he couldn't help but feel anticipation flittering in his chest. He's wanted to kiss Pete for years, at this point, and he was so excited to–

Pete closed the distance between them, eyes fluttering closed. The touch of their lips sent a shock of electricity down his spine. He reached for the back of Mikey's head to pull him in closer. He couldn't get enough.

The two boys didn't pull away for a long time. It wasn't until the room fell silent that they stopped and shyly averted everyone's gaze. Mikey looked into Pete's eyes, which told him everything he had been hiding for years.

Pete slowly took his hand and squeezed it.

"Are you just drunk?" Mikey whispered into his ear.

"No, no, this isn't the alcohol," he murmured back. "I.. I've felt this way for a really long time, you know."

"Me too."

They exchanged another kiss. And although their chests were still pounding, a sunshine-like warmth spread through their veins as they felt the comfort of each other's romance for the first time. And the only thing either of them knew was that they never wanted to live without it.