I shrug, humming my agreement. My dad's been to rehab twice already so I'm prepared for what happens when he'll come back.

He threatens me, steals as much money as he can and disappears for a few days before he shows up back at home, high on the sofa with a beer in his hand.

That's the only father I've ever known.

My phone rings, breaking Rhys's fuming , watching every movement of mine while I speak to the officer.

And what do you guess?

"He's going to rehab." I say to no one in particular.

Rhys slumps onto the couch, actually fear in his eyes.

"I don't know how to protect you." He whispers after minutes of silence.

Shocked, I wrap my arms around his waist, my head falling onto his chest as he leans back into the couch, stroking my back.

"Then don't. Just be here. With us."

He stills under me, his heart beating erratically.

"I will. God damn, I'll be here." His arms tighten around me. "I'm not leaving again. I'm sorry I did in the first place."

I don't ask why he left. That's something he needs to feel ready to tell me.

Liam looks up at us, a frown finding its way on his face.

"Do you like puppies, Liam?" Rhys asks.

I raise my eyebrow at the random question.

Liam's eyes widen, looking around like a fucking dog will show up.

"Yes! I love puppies! I would name it Leo!"

Where the fuck did Leo come from?

Rhys chuckles, adjusting us so Liam can come and lie down, burying his face into Rhys's chest. Like I used to do.

"Well, do you remember Allie and Noah? The big grumpy one?"

Liam's face scrunches into a smile, nodding.

"In about an hour, Noah's surprising Allie with a puppy. Would you like to go help surprise her? Noah said he really needed your help."

Liam's already running down the hall, sprinting back out with his jacket and shoes, stumbling to his butt to put them on.

I scoff out a laugh, eyeing Rhys warily.

"Is he actually getting her a puppy?"

He nods, helping Liam adjust his coat the right way.

"A yellow lab. Noah and her therapist thought having a dog around would help her through her panic attacks when Noah's not there."

I frown, not knowing Allie was in therapy. Is that why someone is always with her? Because she has panic attacks?

"I'm ready!" Liam shouts from the door, stomping his little foot to make a point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we get to the apartment, Noah is just setting up the dog bed in the living room and the food and water dishes in the kitchen.

When he sees Liam, he actually smiles, crouching down in front of him.

I jolt back at the sight of Noah actually looking happy when Allie's not around. It's weird.

Rhys mumbles something like gotta add that to the tracker under his breath.