Her second guard vanished into the looming shadows.

She turned sharply and scanned for Ellis. The dark outlines of his escorts lay motionless in the grass. She sprinted towards him, determined that he should escape the deadly menace which surrounded the group.

Her legs jolted on the soft turf; the ropes burned tighter into her wrists; the gag dug deeper across her face and clogged her ragged breath.

The fast flickering outline of a Reever loomed up behind Ellis. She tried to shout, but the cloth muzzle refused her screams.

The shadowy arms of the Reever stretched out to encompass and snatch Ellis.

She sped full pelt at the Reever and barged her shoulder hard into him; they sprawled to the wet turf and propelled Ellis forward. The friction of the thudding tussle gripped at the cloth around her face - it nipped and pinched her hair and skin and worked loose down around her neck. The grateful blood returned to her numbed cheeks as she spat out the second rag.

"Run, Ellis!" she shouted.

Ellis stumbled forward, but steadied himself and dashed back towards her. He stared hard at her over the top of his gag and turned his back to her. His tied wrists extended out, his fingers stretched to touch her, but she could not reach them - he could not help her up.

"Flee!" shouted Caldor from the arch of the bridge. "We are betrayed! Get back across the bridge to the Vallum!"

A guard dashed past; his torch flared with his rushing speed. He locked a sturdy arm around Ellis.

"You're coming with me, sonny!" he said as he dragged Ellis away from her, back towards the bridge.

She fought to get up, desperate to stay close to Ellis.

But at least he might be safe - if the guard could just get him back inside the Vallum, there might still be hope.

The rope bit and cut at her wrists as she wrestled herself to her knees.

If she could only get to her feet and run to the bridge with the others.

Run and escape this deadly terror.

Run and be safe with Ellis.

She must get there.

She must help him.

Her legs strained and wobbled; she levered her tottering body to her feet. A sudden, chilling breeze whistled down the nape of her neck; a powerful grip grasped her arm from behind; a second rough hand clasped tight across her mouth.

The overpowering odour of the sulphur swamps assaulted her - the smell that had glued itself to her clothes when they took the Quillon and had only just begun to fade from their memory.

The unseen Reever lifted her up; her feet dangled; useless; no longer in contact with the ground; her captor held her fast and turned back towards the dark shadows of the bridge and the Cathedral.

Her thumping heart reeled; Ellis and the guard charged through the midnight undergrowth before her.

If they could just get there.

If Ellis could just be safe.

There wasn't far to go.

Now that they had her, perhaps they wouldn't bother with Ellis?

A swift blur of shadow moved across them. The guard who was dragging Ellis clutched his throat and fell. The arms of the shadow opened and engulfed Ellis and lifted him clear of the ground.

No!

There was no need to take him!

She was the witch!