18. Whispers in the Corridor.

Caldor pulled his thick autumn cloak tighter around his body; the long stone corridors of the Cathedral felt chilly and damp after the warmth of the Patrex's office.

Fencliffe and Odal walked beside him; their sombre footsteps echoed in time to his own.

"He is floundering," Fencliffe insisted in a low tone, "grasping at old superstitions - instead of showing the true light and leadership that our beloved Church requires."

"See how desperate he has become," Odal added, "he is even prepared to bring back the great enemies of our Faith in his reckless and futile efforts."

"And wasn't it the Patrex himself who told the congregation about the ritual?" Fencliffe said. "No doubt that's how the witches knew when to attack - it was almost as if he deliberately sabotaged the whole thing himself."

"And he even broke with all protocol to do it - by addressing the people directly himself," Odal agreed.

"This fool will lead us to ruin - the loss of the Harmonist is the least of our worries - our own Patrex will destroy us from within," Fencliffe hissed.

"And who will protect us and stop the witches now?" Odal asked.

"Hang the witches!" Caldor interjected. "The Great Surrounder would never allow such desecrations to defeat this - His most glorious Church - it cannot be His will."

"And yet... they seem quite powerful," Odal suggested.

"But our faith is stronger," Caldor replied, "and our trust in the Surrounder will shield us from any calamity."

"Yes," Fencliffe added, "but only a man of true faith and vision can save the Church from this catastrophe - surely the time has come?"

"No," Caldor replied, "not yet - there is still one more thing we need to put in place before we are truly ready."

A distant door rattled shut behind them.

Caldor turned around and scanned the length of the corridor; he pulled his cloak tighter and higher around his neck and mouth.

"But my work at the Treasury is quite urgent, gentlemen - I must attend to the building works in the Great Library - let us meet in my chamber later this evening, where we will have a little more privacy."

His colleagues glanced about them and walked quickly off along the dim passageway.