Chapter 16

After they left the sound stage, Gerard took Ellie to their usual hideout, closing the door behind them. 

She sat down in the corner and put her face in her hands. 

Her anxiety was refusing to go away, and it was slowly consuming her. 

Gerard took off his gloves, then kneeled in front of Ellie. 

"Hey," he said softly, putting a warm hand on her arm. "Look at me, darling."

She shook her head. 

She did not want him to see her in such a state. 

Ellie's anxiety was her biggest weakness, and it could turn her into someone completely different.

"It's okay, Ellie," he cooed. "We're alone now. You don't need to be scared."

Her voice was muffled, but that didn't stop her as she said, "Go away."

"What?" Gerard asked, leaning closer.

Then, Ellie snapped like a twig.

"Go away!" she yelled, launching up and pushing him aside. "Leave me alone!"

He stood there like he had gotten hit by a truck, his expression taken aback. 

Ellie hated herself for acting like that in front of him, but it truly felt like she had taken a backseat to her emotions, so she did nothing as she exclaimed, "Are you deaf? Don't just stand there! Leave!"

Gerard's mouth gaped open a bit, and Ellie's heart silently broke in her chest while her body remained fierce. 

When he found his words, he said quietly, "I'm sorry. I'll leave you be."

He turned towards the door, but he gave her another pleading glance to let him stay. 

She glared at him with ice-cold eyes, her other self completely locked away from reality.

Like a wounded animal, Gerard opened the door and ducked out, closing it firmly behind him. 

Once he was gone, all the fight left Ellie in a heap, and she fell to the floor, sobbing.

What had she done?

The sun creeped onto Ellie's face, draping warmth over her skin. 

Her eyes slowly fluttered open, and she was met with sheer brightness. 

Shielding her face, Ellie propped herself up on her elbows and looked around. 

She was laying on the ground, and white-colored walls greeted her in return. 

She rubbed her eyes, feeling like she had a terrible nightmare. 

But her heart stopped in her chest when she realized what had happened.

Ellie had broken completely, unleashing the beast of her anxiety at Gerard without mercy. 

Oh God, she thought, horrified. What did you do?

She hopped off the floor and rushed out the door. 

The air was cold and brittle, sending chills through her from head-to-toe. 

It was early morning, so there weren't a lot of people around yet, but the few who were there looked at Ellie strangely as she ran past them to the sound stage.

She burst through the doors and frantically searched for Gerard, but nobody was there. 

The silence was so deafening that Ellie's heart capsized in her chest, and she wanted to cry all over again. 

But she wasn't going to stop. 

She had to find him and explain her actions.

What good would it do, though? 

He probably thought she was a freak and that he didn't want to be anywhere near her.

Who could blame him?

Ellie shook off the thoughts and continued to look. 

A few of the camera crew were around, but not the person she wanted. 

She groaned tiredly and went outside, wrapping her arms around herself because of the cold.

As if the gods were laughing at Ellie, Charlotte appeared a few feet away. 

Where did you come from? she thought with a bewildered expression.

Her blond hair was tied up in a ponytail, and she was wearing a tank top that short enough for her toned stomach to show. 

She wore black leggings that fit her legs perfectly, and Ellie suddenly felt so dull next to her beauty. 

Was she trying to rub it in her face? 

Probably.

She tried to walk past her as quickly as possible, but, of course, Charlotte spotted her and called out, "Where are we going in such a rush, Parker?"

Ellie ignored her and headed back to their hideout. 

She knew she had already looked there, but enough time had passed, so she thought maybe she would luck out. 

It didn't matter, though. 

He wouldn't want to see her.

Ellie ran inside and observed her surroundings, trying to find a sign that he was there, but she came up short once again. 

Defeated, she slumped down against the wall and curled up tightly, feeling like the worst person in the world. 

She hated to admit it, but Charlotte was right. 

How could Gerard ever love someone like Ellie? 

A broken, messed-up girl with major emotional issues did not sound like the right choice to her.

She sat there crying for at least a few minutes, her body more drained than it had ever been before. 

But all of a sudden, Ellie heard high heels approaching her way, and she glanced up to find Emmy looking at her, worried.

"Ellie?" she gasped, kneeling down beside her. "Oh my God. What happened?"

Ellie fell silent and said nothing, her tears still staining her face. 

Emmy's long, graceful hand came up to brush her hair back, and she asked, "Are you looking for Gerard?"

She hesitated a moment, but then she nodded. 

He may not be happy to see her, but Ellie had to say something, no matter how much he hated her.

Being the angel she was, Emmy helped her up and walked Ellie to wherever Gerard was, and she felt her body begin to shake as she feared the worst.

He would never forgive her for such an act of anger, and she steeled herself for what would be the most painful rejection she could ever receive in her lifetime.