Chapter 5

A few hours later, Ellie had completed her first official outfit for The Phantom of the Opera, and she was beyond happy at the end result:

She knew that Emmy was going to look absolutely stunning in the outfit, but Ellie was also hoping that she would like it as much as she did

In fact, she hoped everybody liked it as much as she did.

Ellie pushed off her anxious thoughts, however, and set it up in the middle of the room so that she wouldn't forget to present it the following day. 

While she was tidying her place up, however, another knock emerged on the door.

Ellie wasn't as annoyed because she wasn't working, so she slipped into a relaxed posture and walked over to the door. 

She opened it, and Gerard was standing outside, making her heart stop for what felt like the millionth time.

"Hi," she greeted quietly, not fully meeting his eyes.

"Hello," he smiled. 

He brushed some hair out of his face and bounced on the heels of his feet, but his expression lit up when he noticed the dress behind her.

"Did you make that?" Gerard asked, his tone astounded.

Ellie nodded. 

"I just finished it. I'll be presenting it to Joel and Emmy tomorrow morning." 

She then moved out of the way so he could come in, and she closed the door behind them once he was inside. 

She did not want the dress to be spoiled to anyone else, but since Gerard was there, she figured she'd be polite and let him see it.

His green eyes moved along the dress, and he walked around in a circle to get a full view of it. 

Ellie's heart was beating so hard that she was afraid he could hear it, but Gerard seemed too distracted to pay any attention to her silent swooning.

Once he finished observing, he looked at her with a smile and said, "This is amazing, Ellie. Quite the first impression."

She glanced down bashfully and murmured, "Thanks. I hope it works for Joel and Emmy."

"Are you kidding?" Gerard scoffed. "This is the perfect outfit for the film. They're both going to be over the moon for this dress."

Ellie smiled a bit and said nothing, the shyness weighing down on her like a freight train.

Seeming to sense her doubtfulness, he stepped over to her and said, "They're going to love it, Ellie. Believe me."

She glanced at him and said, "I appreciate your support, Gerard."

"Of course," he smiled softly. "We're like a family around here. We help each other, no matter what."

"That's good to know," she replied, looking down again. 

God, shyness sucked.

After a moment of silence, Gerard broke it by asking, "Are you working at all tonight?"

Ellie's heart rate quickened. 

"No," she said almost inaudibly.

He heard her, though, and a smile came on his face. 

"Would you like to come and listen to one of the songs? I'm going to be working on my part alone tonight."

Ellie felt nervous to say yes, but she also owed him since she hadn't shown up twice, so she nodded her head and said, "Sure."

"Great," Gerard replied. "Let's go, then."

"Hold on a sec," she chuckled. "I need to put everything away first."

He laughed sheepishly and said, "Right. Sorry."

Ellie smiled to herself while placing the materials back in their original spots, and Gerard waited patiently by the door with his arms behind his back.

Once she was finished, Ellie grabbed her purse and walked to the door. 

"Alright, now let's go," she said, opening the door with a sly smirk on her face.

He smirked back and walked out, brushing her arm as he passed. 

She shivered involuntarily and took a deep breath to control herself from squealing out loud. 

Ellie closed the door, locked it, then followed Gerard as he led her to the sound stage.