Grace versus Works

Start from the beginning

A paralytic man healed by Jesus as portrayed on The Chosen [69]

A Sinful Woman Forgiven

Then one of the Pharisees asked Him to eat with him. And He went to the Pharisee's house, and sat down to eat.  And behold, a woman in the city who was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at the table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of fragrant oil,  and stood at His feet behind Him weeping; and she began to wash His feet with her tears, and wiped them with the hair of her head; and she kissed His feet and anointed them with the fragrant oil.  Now when the Pharisee who had invited Him saw this, he spoke to himself, saying, "This Man, if He were a prophet, would know who and what manner of woman this is who is touching Him, for she is a sinner.

And Jesus answered and said to him, "Simon, I have something to say to you."

So he said, "Teacher, say it."

"There was a certain creditor who had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing with which to repay, he freely forgave them both. Tell Me, therefore, which of them will love him more?"

Simon answered and said, "I suppose the one whom he forgave more."

And He said to him, "You have rightly judged." Then He turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave Me no water for My feet, but she has washed My feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head. You gave Me no kiss, but this woman has not ceased to kiss My feet since the time I came in. You did not anoint My head with oil, but this woman has anointed My feet with fragrant oil. Therefore I say to you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little."

Then He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?"

Then He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace." (Luke 7:36-50)

Mary of Bethany anoints Jesus [71]

Christians should not feel jealous or frustrated by individuals that receive grace earlier or later in their lives. Christians should rejoice when any person accepts the grace of Jesus Christ and is excepted into the kingdom of Heaven. We should not be jealous of those that are able to continue to sin, as once we are saved, we are to walk a narrow road and focus on becoming perfect as Jesus was perfect. Of course, this is not an obtainable state of being but should still be the focus of all Christians. 

The Parable of the Lost Sheep

Then all the tax collectors and the sinners drew near to Him to hear Him. And the Pharisees and scribes complained, saying, "This Man receives sinners and eats with them." So He spoke this parable to them, saying:

"What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!'  I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance. (Luke 15:1-7)

Lost Sheep [72]

Lost Sheep [72]

Do not have envy for sinners

"Do not fret because of evildoers,
Nor be envious of the workers of iniquity.
For they shall soon be cut down like the grass,
And wither as the green herb." (Psa. 37:1-2)

"Do not be envious of evil men,
Nor desire to be with them;
For their heart devises violence,
And their lips talk of troublemaking.

Through wisdom a house is built,
And by understanding it is established;
By knowledge the rooms are filled

With all precious and pleasant riches." (Prov. 24:1-4)

Faith without works

In the book of James it is written that "for as the body without the spirit is dead, faith without works is dead also". (James 2:26) This passage is quoted often by Christian affiliated religions that focus more on good works for salvation rather than grace alone. James is simply arguing that a Christian naturally will produce good works (or fruits) as a result of embodying the Holy spirit. That James is simply rebuking individuals that claim to have the faith and grace of Jesus Christ but do not show it by their good works and actions. 

First, James says that even the demons have a kind of faith (James 2:19). But their faith does not save them; instead, it condemns them. Why? Because they don't have corresponding works to prove the genuineness of their faith.

Second, James says that Abraham's faith was proved genuine by his works when he offered up Isaac on the altar (James 2:21). His works demonstrated that he had a true faith in God. Abraham believed God could raise Isaac from the dead.

Third, James says that Rahab's faith was proved genuine by her works when she hid the Israelite spies and helped them escape (James 2:25). Her works demonstrated that she had a true faith in God. Rahab believed God could help her and the Israelites defeat their enemies.

Fourth, James says that a person's faith  is proved genuine by his works when he helps a brother or sister in need (James 2:15-16). When we see someone in need and do nothing to help them, it shows that our faith is not genuine.

The bottom line is that faith without works is dead because it is not a saving faith. A true faith always produces good works. Therefore, if we want to know whether our faith is genuine, we should look at our works. Do they reflect a true faith in Christ?[16]

 Do they reflect a true faith in Christ?[16]

Grace of God quote by Alistair Begg [68]