He scowled at me "I'm glad the thought of my death is hysterical to you."

"It's not" I snickered "But you're worrying for nothing."

"How would you know?" He pouted, resuming his previous position.

"Firstly because, as you said, I'm the last Lupine Heir and they can't touch you. I won't allow it."

I lunged for him but he easily dodged my sneak attack.

I growled in frustration turning just in time to block his jab to my rib cage.

"Really?" He asked skeptically "You have that much pull already with the Penta? And the other Heirs?" 

I shrugged, twirling out of his reach as lunged for me. 

"I have no idea how much pull I, or even my predecessors, had before me" I admitted "But what I do know is that they won't hurt you." 

His eyes soften "We've all heard stories of what a wonderful Alpha Heir and Penta member your Father was."

His words, although kind and appreciative, caused a pit to form in the base of my stomach.

I've heard bits and pieces of the stories he's referring to about Wolff Lupine, hell I've seen the accolades and awards he received when he went here, but my mind couldn't wrap around the fact that my dad...the man who raised me...wasn't actually my dad.

Matthew St. James was simply a kind hearted Doctor who fell in love with a sickly newborn orphan. 

A man who did everything he could to keep said newborn apart of his family and away from a broken system. 

That's just the kind of man my Dad was...always mindful of others needs. 

What kind of man was Wolff Lupine? 

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't see Charlie strike until it was too late. 

I wheezed out a groan, my lungs burning as I once again stared up at the blue sky. 

"SHIT!" Charlie yelped, coming into view once more "I'm so sorry Nova!" 

~~~~

Phoenix 

I schooled my emotions, particularly the wince that overcame me when the kid from Lobo's pack threw my Mate down on the mat for the sixth time. 

While my Wolf clawed at my insides, fighting and begging to be released, and I had to remind him that if he intervened, my prick of an uncle wouldn't hesitate to throw us out and ban me from entering the Coliseum ever again.