1.14 - Messenger

En başından başla

Gyutaro's gaze wavered, the conflict evident in his eyes. After a tense silence, he sighed, releasing the grip on the toy gun.

"Leave, Kyoko. I don't want anything to do with you."

"Then don't do anything with me. You just have to do something for Lady Kyo."

Gyutaro's eyes flickered, torn between resentment and the undeniable truth in Kyoko's words. The air hung heavy with unresolved tension, and the weight of their shared history pressed on them.

"I won't force you," Kyoko continued, her voice softer. "But deep down, you know what's at stake. I'll do what I can to protect the district, with or without your help."

Without waiting for a response, Kyoko turned away, leaving the alley and the echoes of their fractured connection behind. The night swallowed her, and she ventured into the shadows alone, burdened not just by the threat ahead but also by the painful rift between her and the one person she had hoped would stand by her side.

------------ SYSTEM ERROR REPLAYING DATA----------

Kokushibo likes to think he's better than Yoriichi in everyway.

In his mind, he had transcended the limitations of humanity, achieving unparalleled power and immortality. The centuries of existence had allowed him to witness the passage of time and indulge in experiences beyond the scope of mortal life.

Yet, beneath the veneer of confidence, an underlying emptiness lingered—a void that no amount of power or longevity could truly fill. At the top, he no longer has enemies that can beat him.

The insatiable hunger for strength had fractured their once-unbreakable brotherhood. The very pursuit that Kokushibo believed would secure his superiority became the catalyst for their separation. He could surpass Yoriichi in strength, but the intrinsic value of their bond was irreparably damaged, just like the flute he hid in his sachet.

He has beaten Yoriichi, but only in terms of power.

Kokushibo doesn't remember how to love. No, more specifically -

He never knew how.

"You know," a young pinkette once poked at his cheek, "you kind of remind me of the Tennin* from the western culture."

Kokushibo's stoic expression shifted. His eyes, devoid of the warmth associated with genuine emotions, betrayed a hint of confusion.

"Tennin, you say?" he responded, his voice carrying an otherworldly grace. "I am no heavenly being, nor do I concern myself with the affairs of the West. My pursuits lie in the realm of strength and dominance."

The pinkette giggled, undeterred by Kokushibo's austere demeanor. "But Tennin are said to be beings of great beauty and power, much like you. Plus, they have eyes that survey everything around them, like how you're always on guard. Yet, they are often depicted as compassionate and capable of love."

Kokushibo's brows furrowed imperceptibly. Love – a concept that eluded him like a distant memory he could never quite grasp. His mind, honed for centuries in the pursuit of martial prowess, struggled to comprehend the nuances of such a seemingly simple emotion.

"Love?" he mused, as if testing the unfamiliar word on his tongue. "Love is but a trivial sentiment, a weakness that binds one to fleeting attachments."

The pinkette's gaze softened with sympathy. "It's not a weakness, you know. It's what makes us human. Even Tennin, in their divine grace, understand the beauty of love. Maybe that's what you lack, despite your strength. You should go home, see your family-"

"Yoriichi sent you to persuade me, didn't he?"

"...Was that too obvious?" The pinkett awkwardly scratched her cheek. "I agree with him. You shouldn't have left your family that loved you. If you go home now, it's still salvageable!"

Would things have turned out differently if he had listened to Yoriichi?

".....Sensei."

"You've performed admirably, Shinsai. You are free to proceed with your responsibilities as Upper Moon 5."

"Thank you, Sensei." The once stone Hashira bowed before departing from the training grounds.

Were it not for the impressive progress and the presence of a mark on the pillar, Kokushibo might have deemed him worthy of death for his rebellious thoughts. The decision to spare his sole student and sparring partner hinged on one specific reason.

He wanted to surpass Yoriichi's legacy.

------------ END----------

Author:

This chapter is just last chapter on crack. Looks like Gyutaro isn't the "HEY OLD WOMAN" boy anymore. I'm getting busy with work stuff so the chapters will be shorter than it usually is. Sorry for the inconvenience! 

Tennin - angels/ heaven's messengers.