Prologue

It was a chilly night when I was walking back home from a meeting with Molly, a friend of mine. It was a long day. I organized my house with my new pieces of furniture since I just moved to this town. I am exhausted from all the work. I was in the middle of the walk when I suddenly hear a snap of a stick. The sound draws my attention. Once I look in the direction of the crack, I see a man standing. I cannot see his face clearly; he is a tall, all-black-dressed man. He has an intimidating and mysterious aura.

- Hello? - I finally pronounce it, narrowing my eyes and trying to take a look at the figure. I give in once I understand he won't answer.

It is late at night, so when I hear a car passing by, it captures my attention. When I glance at the man's direction, he's not there anymore. I look at the surroundings, and I don't see anyone. Alarmed, I decided to make my way home.

The rest of my journey home was peaceful, besides the previous event. Once I get home, I see Lily, my ginger kitten. Lily and Molly have been my only companions since everything happened since I moved to Beaufort.

- Hey, Lily. - I come near her, bending down and caressing her fur. I hear her purring, enjoying the patting. I walk to her bowl of water and food, refilling them.

I walk to my room, checking everything before leading to my bathroom. I close the door, taking my clothes off, and turn the shower on. Once I feel the warm water rolling down my body, my muscles relax, and my thoughts turn off. My showers are the best part of my day; they are the most peaceful part of my day. I get out of the shower after cleaning myself. I wrap myself in the towel before walking back to my room. After I put on my pajamas, I walk back to the bathroom and do my skincare, brushing my hair and my teeth.

I turn the lights off when I get myself to bed, thinking about my day. I fall asleep thinking about the man I saw earlier.