Chapter 1

From behind his desk, Severus' piercing gaze sweeps across the classroom, capturing every student's attention. As his eyes met the gaze of a stranger standing in the corner of the room, his expression remained impassive, revealing nothing. As Snape taught his class, she diligently looked down at her notepad, scribbling down every detail. Severus's eyes widen in surprise, his eyebrows shooting up, as he notices her diligently jotting down notes.

"And what, may I ask, are you writing about? My lecture, perhaps? If so, I'm impressed. Most in this class couldn't care less about the intricacies of magic," Snape said, suddenly standing in front of her.

She briefly glances up at him before resuming her focus on the words flowing from her pen. "I'm not a student here, Professor. I'm from the Ministry of Magic and I'm simply observing you," she said dryly as she jotted more down.

Suspicion fills Severus' eyes as they narrow, his gaze becoming more focused. "Observing me, you say? And for what purpose, if I may ask? It's quite unusual for someone from the Ministry to be keeping tabs on one of the most esteemed professors at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry," he remarked, his arrogance palpable.

Without even glancing at him, she delivered the unsettling news, "Someone from the Ministry suspects you of engaging in unethical behavior."

A fleeting expression of shock and anger crosses Snape's face, causing his complexion to slightly pale. Taking a deep breath, he gathers his thoughts and composes himself before pressing on. "And what, exactly, do they suspect me of doing?"

"That's not something I can discuss," she responded, stealing a quick glance at him before diverting her attention elsewhere.

With narrowed eyes, Snape's voice remains unforgiving and devoid of warmth. "Very well, then. I see someone somewhere has decided that I am not to be trusted."

"It appears so," she said with a monotone voice, her pen swiftly scribbling down more notes in her notepad.

With a heavy sigh, Snape reluctantly turned away from the scene and resumed his place at his desk, absentmindedly tapping his fingers. "I see no reason why I should alter my methods or lessons due to these unfounded accusations. If they wish to keep an eye on me, let them."

"Imagine I don't exist," the woman added, her words fading into the background noise.

Ignoring the presence of the observer, Snape raises an eyebrow in response to the comment, his concentration unwavering as he continues working. "Of course, you're not here," he said with annoyance.

As she nods in agreement, a small smile tugs at the corners of her lips. "Nope, I'm not here at all," she said, leaning against the wall and observed him further. "Go about your day, Professor."

Snape's wand moved gracefully through intricate spells and potions, the air crackling with the energy of his magic. Every now and then, he cast a sidelong glance at the hidden observer, his eyes filled with suspicion. "As you wish, my unseen presence."

His little comment made the woman's face light up with a smile. Nevertheless, the smile vanished from her face as she refocused on meticulously recording her observations. With a calm demeanor, Snape diligently carried on with his work, his unwavering gaze locked onto the task before him. But once more, his gaze returned to his observer.

"You must have quite an open mind to appreciate my subtle humor." Snape's hands were clasped behind his back as he sarcastically commented, "No doubt the Ministry of Magic has you well-trained."

"I suppose," she said, her tone devoid of any enthusiasm.

There's a momentary pause from Snape, his weary voice betraying his fatigue. "You know," he said, his gaze filled with curiosity as he turned to her, "it's always intriguing to observe someone as closed off as you attempting to comprehend the world."