Chapter 7 - From the Moment that I Met Him, Saw Him...

Start from the beginning

"Hey, what gives?" I asked her. "You're usually out here most of the day, keeping me company."

That same look was there. "I'm so sorry, Sam. It's just, Elvis asked everyone to stay inside, and he practically forced me to stay near him the whole day. I finally was able to escape since he had to take a phone call, and he's still on the phone. I would've been out here..."

This made me wonder if Elvis kept Cilla close to him since he didn't want to have feelings for me, and he was keeping his gorgeous girlfriend next to him to remind him that he had someone who was eye candy and a good soul. He was out of his mind for even entertaining the thought that he could like me in that way.

"It's okay," I said. "Are you available to chill for a little while before I go home?"

She beamed a glowing smile. "I would love to." She linked arms with me. "Let's find somewhere where Elvis can't find us. C'mon."

We started walking, and we went all the way to the end of the property and hid ourselves behind the trunk of a tree. It was so far away from the house that Elvis wouldn't be able to see us. My thoughts ran of him, especially yesterday.

"So... did Elvis tell you about what happened yesterday?" I asked. "About him bringing me back to Graceland?"

She nodded. "Yes. Well, Vernon said something, which Elvis wasn't pleased about, and he had no choice but to tell everyone since it was said around the lunch table. I thought that so sweet, him going to get you after that argument. But... there was a reason."

"And what reason is that?"

She pressed her lips together. "Well, he likes you as a worker."

Did he not say anything regarding his feelings? "That was all he said?"

"Knowing him, there was more to it, but I didn't pry." She plucked a yellow dandelion and fingered the needle-thin petals. "I think he felt horribly for yelling at you. He usually does after losing his temper with any of us. He has a short fuse, and had since he was little, so it's something that he's always working on. He always apologizes after losing it with any of us. Especially me. We've had our share of spats."

I shook my head, not liking that he lost his temper a lot with his girlfriend. "I get losing your temper sometimes, but to a great extent and to your significant other? Cilla, why are you still with him? He controls you like a doll, dressing you, doing your hair and makeup how he pleases, you're tethered to him so you can't even see your friend, you can't get a job like you want because of him..."

"He's done so much for me," she defended, the dandelion tossed aside. Her eyes turned accusatory. "He brought me over from Germany when my father still had a few years left to his service there. He promised to love me and that I would always be his girl, no matter what."

"He probably said that since he knew how much of a womanizer he was. And is still. Doesn't that bother you at all? He's been in love with other women and proposed to them, too. I read about Joan Blackman. I think that's a major red flag."

"I know, I know, and people have told me to just leave, but... Elvis is my Prince Charming. When we met, it was like fireworks went off. Yes, I saw him on TV before, and I became his fan, but after we met, there was something there. We met a few times after that, and I knew that I hooked him. It was mainly because we both had so many things in common, like we were both lonely over there in Germany. We did things together, we went on dates, we kissed, we... It was like I was living a fairytale. Then he had to leave and promised we would see each other again in the US, and he convinced my parents to let me go on the premise that Elvis and I eventually marry. And I have a firm hope that we will. That's what keeps me going when he's with other women."