Chapter 18

{•••••}

"C'mon, Courtney - open up!" Anthony begs for the umpteenth time.

I use all of my strength to hold the door closed. "G-Go away, you... You presumptuous little-" Before I can finish my sentence, the door bursts open and sends me face-first to my bedroom floor.

"A precomptunos little what?" His voice calls from behind me. I grit my teeth before standing up to face him (only I need to stand on the tip of my toes to actually face him).

"Firstly, it's presumptuous, and second, leave me alone."

"Okay, look Courtney. You're being incredibly dramatic. I mean, this isn't a romance novel or anything."

I exhale. "Okay, yeah - you're probably right."

"And I know you don't agree -" He pauses. "Wait, what?"

"Yes, I may have been a little bit-" He raises an eyebrow and scoffs at the word 'little bit' "- but to be fair, you were being rather bitchy too."

"Woah, language." He puts up his hands mockingly. I roll my eyes.

"So, Anthony, I'm sorry for being dramatic." I give my hand out for him to shake.

"And I'm sorry for not being able to control my testosterone levels." He says and flashes me his signature smirk. He takes my hand and pulls me towards him before wrapping his arms around me. "So we're cool?" He whispers.

I frown. "Not quite." Before he can open him mouth to speak, I slap him across the face. He steps back - not from pain, but shock. "Now we're cool." I say, smiling.

He gives me an evil grin. "Oh, you're in for it." He tackles me to the bed and begins tickling my sides.

"S-Stop! You k-know I'm ticklish!" I try to hold in my fits of laughter.

He shrugs. "That's sort of the point." He laughs and lays down next to me. He laces his hand with mine and we lay in silence, staring up at the ceiling.

"Courtney," Anthony finally speaks up. "I didn't come over here just to see you. I want to give you something."

He sits up takes something from his left pocket - a leather cord, and a silver chain. From his right pocket, he takes out two metallic charms: a book and a heart. He takes my hand and places the heart-shaped charm onto it.

"This," He says, closing my hand. "Represents me."

"Makes sense." I giggle. He genuinely smiles back and shows me the book.

"This is you."

"A book?" I question.

He laughs softly. "Since you're a nerd." He slips the book charm over the leather cord and wraps it around his wrist. He gives me the silver bracelet and nods towards my hand, clasping the heart - his heart. I hesitate before looping the charm through the chain and place the bracelet onto my wrist. I look up at him and smile.

"Courtney, I-" His voice is soon drowned out by his phone. He picks it up and glances at me apologetically.

"Yeah okay, Mom." His voice changes its tone to annoyance. "Whatever, love you too." He sighs before hanging up and turns towards me.

"Sorry, Court - I gotta go. My mom she... Well, she doesn't exactly know I came here." He scratches the back of his neck.

"No problem." I fake a smile.

"I guess I'll see you later..."

"Yeah. Sure."

With that, he waves goodbye and heads out. Questions begin flooding through my head. What was he going to tell me? Was he going to confess? Was our deal going to end so soon? What happens when I win? What if I don't end up winning?

I feel my heartbeat slow down as I ask myself that last question over and over again. If I don't win... That could mean I... Love him?

Do... Do I love him?

i shake my thoughts away and look at the bracelet he gave to me. A heart seemed so cliché, yet this one had so much more meaning.

It's the heart of a player.

{•••••}