Chapter 7

━━

MONDAY, 10 AM
GREENWICH HIGH SCHOOL

━━

"You're what?!" Gio screamed, slamming his palms on the desk he was hovering above, which was occupied by Lo'ak. The braid-headed boy looked up, a sort of hopeless look plastered on his face as he nodded slowly.

"Where even is New Zealand? Lo'ak, you can't move. I can't survive in this shithole on my own! Questo è orribile, insidioso (this is horrible, insidious)!" Gio continued, pulling a chair out and flopping onto it with his head in his hands.

After that, it felt like the rest of the day was doing the most to go as slow as possible. Every minute felt like 5, and that would've been good if the atmosphere wasn't as miserable as ever. There was new tension between Lo'ak and Gio, because they had the constant reminder that they were soon going to be miles apart looming in the air.

When it came to Neteyam and Brooke, he was still shocked by the news, but they knew they couldn't waste their time being sad over it. That's why Brooke proposed the idea of them having one last, big catch-up; skipping school, going to the mall and stopping by the arcade to play games, a couple rounds of bowling and laser tag, eating as much junk food as they could stand, then coming home and going for a spin in Brooke's car at 2 am. He suggested the idea to Lo'ak and Gio, who agreed.

"Y'know, maybe this isn't too bad. I could use this as an excuse to go on vacation to New Zealand," Gio joked, and Lo'ak laughed.

"True true... Aye, I don't know how I'm gonna survive without you, bro. I'll have nobody to keep me entertained with his dry ass jokes," Lo'ak replied, making Gio roll his eyes. "My jokes are funny as fuck!"

━━

FRIDAY, 8 AM
THE SULLY RESIDENCE

━━

"Lo'ak!" Tuk said, flinging his door open to reveal her brother, so fast asleep that his blanket was sideways and he had almost fallen off the bed. She sighed and shook her head, turning back around, "Gio, he's in here!"

Gio walked in and stopped in the doorway, stifling a laugh. "Lo'ak bro, wake up," he said, shaking his friend violently. Lo'ak swatted him off and continued sleeping until Gio and Tuk yanked the blanket from his body, causing him to shoot up. "What was that for?"

"Time to get up, Lo!" Tuk chimed, jumping on Lo'ak's bed.

"Tuk– no, stop jumping on my bed before Mama gets angry!" Lo'ak ushered her off the bed, and Tuk giggled mischievously as she ran out of the room.

The braid head looked at the boy opposite him and motioned at a shirt on his floor, asking for Gio to chuck it to him. When Gio did so, he slipped it over his head and sighed. "No fucking way you convinced my mom to let me stay home," Lo'ak said.

"Nah, Nete did. You think I'm brave enough to ask her something like that?" He snorted, flopping into the chair beside Lo'ak's desk.

"Anyways, we're gonna go to the mall again. Kiri wants to come this time, because a new shop opened up and it's pretty much her thing. Might stop at Chipotle or something for lunch, that's what Brooke said," Gio explained.

Lo'ak nodded and rubbed his eyes, "Sweet. Where's Tey and Brooke?"

"Eh, somewhere downstairs," Gio said.

The room went silent for a moment until Lo'ak spoke up again. "Do you think shit will change between us when I move?"

The boy on the other side looked at him, but didn't speak. He thought for a moment and opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. "I don't know. I mean, things will definitely change, but I don't know if it'll be good or bad things."

The atmosphere was tense again, but it felt more like a shared melancholia wavering in the air. Lo'ak sighed, but still no words were spoken for another minute.

"No point just sitting here in silence," Gio said finally, sighing and standing up. "Come on, let's go."

They went downstairs and met Brooke and Neteyam before piling into Brooke's car and heading to the mall. They tried their best to forget about the foreseeable future and had the windows down as they blasted music and enjoyed each other's company while they still could.

When they got to the mall, they all split up to do their own things. Lo'ak walked through the mall aimlessly until he passed the Nike shop and soon found himself standing in front, hesitating to go in. He leaned over and peered through the entrance to get a glimpse of that poster, once again finding himself oddly intrigued.

He couldn't quite figure out why he had such a fascination with the model; it was as if the feeling in his gut knew something he didn't. After another moment of staring, he forced himself to continue walking, and he decided to find Gio and grab something to eat with him.

The rest of the day flew and before long, he found himself staring at the ceiling in the pitch black darkness, listening to the sounds of Gio's soft breaths as he slept.

Lo'ak couldn't sleep. Not when he knew that he was currently experiencing one of the last moments he'll ever have to take advantage of Gio's company while he could.

He hated to admit it, but deep down he was scared. He felt like a little boy again, so vulnerable deep down inside, though he'd die before showing it to anyone. He was honestly just too soft for all of it.

hi guys!!! sorry for not updating omg i've been so busy with school and sports etc but i finally updatedddd 🤭

i'm really sorry for such a short chapter but i just wanted to get this out of the way so i can start writing more in-depth and interesting scenes :)

thanks for reading , remember to vote & comment!!! 🎀