12 | The Hero Complex

Start from the beginning

The other policeman turned to Si Eun and Y/n. ''Kids. Is this house correct?''

''Yes,'' Si Eun said.

Sounds kept coming from their walkie-talkies, filling the awkward silence. One of the policemen coughed and spoke. ''It's going to be difficult.''

''Let's just go back today. You can come to the police station later,'' the other one said.

Y/n's eyes widened. ''No, we can't go now. We have to find them.''

''We don't have a warrant,'' the other one said. ''We can't do anything with those photos.''

''I'll pass the photos to the section in charge of violent crimes. Come to the police station to make a statement later. Answer the phone when we call you.'' With that, the two policemen walked away without a care, leaving them standing in front of the blue door.

''Si Eun,'' Y/n's voice was quiet so the policemen wouldn't hear. He looked at her. ''What are we going to do?''

Si Eun didn't speak, but he started looking around. Walking past Y/n, he made it to the corner of the fence and looked up, then back at Y/n. ''Here.''

There was a place where the barbed wire didn't fully cover the wall; Si Eun beckoned Y/n to follow and he leaned down, cupping his hands for her to step on. With his help, she managed to scale the wall without cutting her legs and she quickly jumped over, Si Eun following right after.

It looked like a regular house, with a few chairs littering around, some weights, a cooler and an umbrella. It was quiet, but Y/n and Si Eun still moved quietly through the premises, unsure of what to expect. Si Eun went ahead and tried to open the door, only to find it locked. At that, he quickly went to grab a weight and throw it through the glass, sticking his hand in and opening the door from the inside.

The house was empty.

''They're gone,'' Y/n breathed out. ''They knew we were coming.''

Si Eun moved further in and Y/n closed the door behind her. ''Y/n.''

She quickly moved over to him at the call, looking down like him — blood was smeared on the ground, next to it a metal bat. Her breath hitched. ''Soo Ho?''

Si Eun immediately looked up at her. ''It might not be his.''

Y/n appreciated his attempt to console her, but it was obvious. She ran a hand through her hair, trying to stop her hands from shaking. Who the hell are these people? Quickly taking her phone out, Y/n called Soo Ho's number.

''The phone is turned off. Please leave a message after the beep.'' She bit her lip and pulled her phone down, then tried to dial Bum Seok's number. Same result.

Si Eun had continued further in the meantime. Y/n pocketed her phone and walked after him, entering another room — it looked like a storage room, but it was empty. Walking further in, Y/n noticed an opened, empty vault as well.

Dialing someone on his phone, Si Eun quickly put it on speaker; the person on the other line answered after one beep. ''What's happening?'' It was the girl with the pink highlights.

''We came to the address you gave me. But no one's here,'' Si Eun said. There was a brief moment of silence, Y/n and Si Eun's eyes meeting. ''Those scums too Soo Ho, didn't they?''

''Add me on With Map first,'' the girl said.

''What?'' Si Eun asked in confusion.

''Give it here.'' Y/n quikcly took his phone and swiped up, then opened the App Store on his phone and downloaded it. ''We can share out locations with it.''