XXX. THE MORNING ISSUE

En başından başla

"And risk becoming permanently deaf? I think I'll pass," said Antares.

He was about to gather the letters before following Snape down to the dungeons when Fred and George approached him at the High Table, George holding a copy of the Whispering Willow. Both twins sported matching grins.

"Antares, just the man we're looking for," said Fred.

"We've read your exclusive," George added, winking at Antares. "You're a public hero."

"Or a public enemy," Fred praised, looking genuinely proud. "Quite the stir you've caused."

Antares replied with an amused tone. "I'm glad you enjoyed it."

"Enjoyed it? We've read it ten times now," Fred chuckled, "and we're not the only ones. The whole school is talking about you."

"It's not every day someone sticks it to Umbridge like that," said George.

Antares looked at them quizzically. As far as he knew, The Whispering Willow didn't send their issues to Hogwarts, just the Prophet and, on rare occasions, The Quibbler. Students would've had to smuggle in copies or have it sent to them by someone else. He looked past Fred and George to the rows of students.

Now that he took a good look, his interviews were everywhere. Almost every student had a copy and those that didn't shared with their friends. Harry, Ron and Hermione sat huddled together, no doubt reading like everyone else, and if Antares gazed across the room, he could see Cassius, Higgs and Isolde doing the same. Even Draco seemed intrigued.

It blew up more than he thought.

Antares knew he would start rumours one way or another, but that was only to the general public outside of Hogwarts (hence the letters). He didn't expect to see his face plastered around the school, but if he was being entirely honest, he wasn't complaining.

'Like a peacock, that one,' Cole once said about him.

"I...," Antares trailed, carefully tapping his letters in his grasp against the table to even the pile, "have no idea what you mean. If you'll excuse me, I have a Potions class to aid, and I believe the two of you have Herbology."

He excused himself from the table, basking in the whispers of the students while pretending to ignore them. Antares was halfway down the Great Hall when a flash of newspaper caught his eye. In the hands of Neville Longbottom was the latest news from The Daily Prophet. The headline was alarming.

MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN MINISTRY FEARS BLACK IS RALLYING POINT FOR OLD DEATH EATERS

Antares approached Neville, his eyes recognizing the horror on the young Gryffindor's face. "Mr. Longbottom," he said carefully, "may I see that?"

Without turning to face him, Neville wordlessly handed over the paper. Antares recognized the unkempt and crazed woman in the photo, having seen her on the Black family tapestry.

'Bellatrix Lestrange, convicted of the torture and permanent incapacitation of Frank and Alice Longbottom,' the caption read.

Antares clicked his teeth. He'd have to write to Sirius about this. Folding the paper and tucking it under his arm, he gave Neville one last look. Antares placed a hand on Neville's shoulder. "Should you ever find that you need company, Study Hall is always open," he offered.

Neville gave a short nod.

As Antares exited the Great Hall, he heard the pounding of footsteps follow him. Matching his pace, Cassius, Higgs and Isolde all looked eager for answers.