Kyoko's shoulders tensed. "I never meant to hurt you nor him. I had my reasons, but I know that doesn't excuse the pain I caused."

Ume sighed, her stern demeanor softening slightly. "Things have changed, Kyo. We've built a new life here. Gyutaro is focused on our business ventures. We don't need the past haunting us."

"I didn't come back for myself," Kyoko replied earnestly. "I-"

"The Entertainment District has changed, and so have we."

The room echoed with the ghosts of their shared past, "I never wanted to hurt you, Ume. I never wanted to hurt Gyutaro."

Ume's eyes softened, mirroring the sadness in Kyoko's gaze. "Sometimes, the choices we make come with a price, Kyo. Let's face this together, you've only seen us as mere tools."

Kyoko couldn't deny that. Even if she did, she knew the ever perceptive Ume would know she was lying. She was aware she was using the siblings merely to save her own home, nothing else. 

[So being scared of feeling hurt was also a lie then.]

It was half the truth. Kyoko admitted bitterly. I didn't want to recreate the pain I experienced in the past. I convinced myself that distance was the only way to keep them safe, but I see now that I've hurt them more by leaving.

Ume's gaze bore into Kyoko's soul, a silent plea for honesty. "Kyo, we were family, not just tools. You can't keep running away from the connections that matter."

Kyoko swallowed the lump in her throat, the weight of her guilt pressing down on her. "I thought I was protecting you, but I see now that I only created more pain. I need your help, Ume. There's something I've discovered, something that could endanger everyone."

Ume's expression shifted from sadness to curiosity, her business instincts kicking in. "What is it, Kyo? What could be so dire that you'd come back after all this time?"

Kyoko hesitated, choosing her words carefully. "It's about Muzan and the blue spider lily. If he's consumed it, we need to understand its effects. It might be the key to stopping him."

Ume's eyes widened at the mention of Muzan, the name carrying a weight of fear and dread. "Muzan? The demon 'king' you've been warning us? Why would you involve yourself with him again?"

"He's a threat to everyone, Ume. I can't stand by knowing the danger he poses. I need your help to access classified information that might have answers."

Ume sighed, a conflicted expression on her face. "I can't deny the danger Muzan poses, but this doesn't erase the pain you caused. Gyutaro might not be as willing to help."

Kyoko nodded, her gaze drifting to the floor. "I understand, Ume. I'll face whatever consequences come my way. But I can't let Muzan's power spread any further."

Ume leaned back in her chair, her eyes scrutinizing Kyoko. "I'll help you, Kyo, but you need to be prepared for whatever follows. Gyutaro may not be as forgiving."

Ume stood up to look out the window, "Ever since you left, Gyutaro has been different," Ume confessed, her gaze fixed on the townscape below. "He threw himself into our business ventures, as if trying to fill the void you left. But the pain lingered, and I saw the sadness in his eyes."

Kyoko listened in silence, the weight of guilt intensifying with each word. She understood the magnitude of the wounds she had inflicted on those she cared about.

"He won't easily forgive you, Kyo," Ume continued. "But maybe, just maybe, this is an opportunity for healing. For all of us."

Kyoko nodded, her determination resolute. "I'll face whatever comes, and if I can, I'll mend what's broken. I owe that much to both of you."

Ume shifted her gaze toward Kyoko, her eyes portraying a blend of forgiveness and sorrow. "I want to trust you, Kyo. However, actions carry more weight than words. 

.

.

.

.

If you can bring Gyutaro back home, perhaps, just perhaps, I might find it in me to forgive you."

Author:

Seleneasha here! More than 1000 words again! I'm not good with writing emotions so I'm sorry if the betrayal Ume felt seemed unrealistic. Looks like we're reuniting with one of my favourite characters (hey, he might be evil but his heart is pure) Gyutaro once again! Posting chapters every Sunday 7AM EST is harder than I thought, hope you guys enjoyed each chapter!

Also, I have a little extra chapter done! Should I wait to release it after the KNY arc or when I can't catch up with my uploading schedule?