9 | How Many Types of Pool Exist?

Start from the beginning

How did I end up hanging out with them again? Bum Seok texted in the group chat asking to hang out and I thought I was invited, too, since I'm also in the group chat. I came because I had nothing else to do and I didn't feel like staying home. What about the others? Soo Ho, he was probably bored. Bum Seok was for sure just trying to become friends with us. Si Eun? How did they convince him to come?

Suddenly, Si Eun was next to her and pushing the score on the board, startling her. ''Let's go and prepare for the assessment.''

Bum Seok stood up and the two picked up their backpacks. Following along, Y/n picked hers up as well, though the loud sound of wood hitting wood made her jump; looking back, she noticed Soo Ho blocking Si Eun's way with his stick. ''Where do you think you're going? Two out of three is the rule. This time, you put in hundredth.''

Si Eun looked back at the scoreboard for a second, then back at Soo Ho. ''I think the result will be the same.''

''For goodness' sake,'' Soo Ho breathed out. ''Is that what you think? You think it'll be the same? Shall we bet jjajangmyeon and sweet and sour pork, too? Or have you tried pork and bell peppers before? Do you want it?''

They ended up playing another game, which Si Eun won. By the time they left the playroom it was dark outside. ''Damn. You know I left you off the hook, right?'' Soo Ho asked as Si Eun turned to face him.

''No.''

''It's so miserable,'' Soo Ho said at Si Eun's dry answer. ''Never mind. Let's have some beer.''

Y/n and Bum Seok shared a look at the suggestion, shrugged and nodded at Soo Ho.

''I need to go,'' Si Eun said. ''You three can go.''

''Why? Join us. It's on me,'' Bum Seok said.

''Come on, Si Eun, missing on studying for a day won't hurt you,'' Y/n said, hugging her zip-up closer. Despite being with long pants and a hoodie, she felt chilly. Maybe the alcohol would warm her up.

''My schedule got messed up thanks to you guys,'' Si Eun said, still declining the offer.

''Okay. Take care.'' Soo Ho relented, moving to stand between Y/n and Bum Seok, putting an arm around each of their shoulders. ''You were fortunate today. Next time, I won't let it slide.''

''Don't try to force him to have fun, Soo Ho,'' Y/n said as Soo Ho turned the group around to start walking in the opposite direction.

''Someone has to bring joy to his life, and I'm master at that, too,'' Soo Ho said, pulling her a bit closer to him. His arm was bare and she could feel his warm skin on hers.

''But where should we go for a drink?'' Bum Seok asked.

''Just follow me. Hurry. Okay?'' Soo Ho said and pulled Bum Seok down by the neck a little, jokingly.

Soo Ho brought them to another place he apparently knew. It was a small kiosk and he seemed to know the owner as getting beer — the alcoholic kind, even — was pretty easy to get. The three then sat outside on a table with plastic chairs.

''Anyone have a bottle opener?'' Bum Seok asked, holding on his bottle.

''No. Give it here.'' Y/n gathered all three bottles and went to a small plant in a cemented to the ground vase. She crouched down and lined up the bottles, picking up the first one. She hooked the cap on the edge of the vase and hit it twice, the bottle sizzling as the cap flew off.

''Woah!'' Y/n heard Soo Ho's dramatic exclamation, but she didn't look at the two, opting to open the rest of the bottles. Once done, she grabbed them all and threw the caps in the trash.