一四 Lesson 13: Not The Lucky One

Start from the beginning

"There's nothing like that. Really. I can't even consider myself Rukawa-kun's friend. I mean, we never talked about being friends officially. I want to be his friend but I think we're already one. What am I saying here? But the answer for your question is that, Haruko is the best fit for the guy", upon saying her last statement, she suddenly felt like doubting her own words. "Okay, great. I thought I'd feel guilty for not telling Haruko about it", Ayoko grabbed the lady's arm and dragged her out the toilet. 

Gymnasium

After a hearty breakfast, the basketball players are back in their practice game. The freshmen students from Jousei and Shohoku are gathering around Amane who is filling the water bottle. "What are the Jousei shrimps doing here?", Miyagi scared them off. "Thanks, Miyagi-san. I am already losing words to answer their questions", Amane chuckled. "No problem. You guys need to learn how to protect a girl", Miyagi started lecturing on the freshmen reserves. "We don't have such presence like Rukawa", they all whined and turned to the started who confidently threw a three. 

"You don't need to compete with that. He's naturally flashy", Amane chuckled. "Aren't you two the same?", Miyagi suggested. "No, I can never dare to be compared with him", she shook her head. The game continued and it is going to Shohoku's favor. 

Night Time

Festival

"We also have to take a break with the pressure", Kogure looked at the group ready to play mini-games and eat festival foods. "Just make sure to keep your excitement in a medium level", Ayoko slapped Miyagi's head who is wagging his tail. "Will you walk with me in this festival, Ayoko-san?", he invited.  "I got a lot on my hands. I need to make sure you all won't cause any trouble", she crossed her arms. Thug-looking guys are already shooting glares at Mitsui, Miyagi and Rukawa. The freshmen are enthralled with the traditional feels of the area. 

Rukawa whispered to Ayoko whose eyes widened. "Okay, at least my problem will be reduced to half", she agreed. Akagi and Kogure was curious. "Let's go", Ayoko led the group. "What did he tell you?", Akagi slowed down his pace to match their manager. Kogure did the same. "He said he's tired from three sets of game so he'll just look around and will head back to the school", the manager answered. "He's a danger prone. Not to mention the possibility of overcrowding of girls trying to get his name and number. Also, he's a fight magnet. Thugs-looking dudes were looking at him", Kogure panicked. 

"Mizutani will be with him. She'll act as a repeller for the girls", Ayoko pointed out. "But Rukawa will be the subject to males' jealousy", Kogure turned and Amane seemingly telling a story to Rukawa. Usually, he will just look at what is in front of him probably ignoring every girls' sentiments but his face is directed towards Amane's direction with occasional nods. "I am not sure how Rukawa sees her but I know he won't allow anyone to lay hands on someone he is now comfortable with", Ayoko smiled. 

Bridge

Rukawa and Amane got separated with the group after trying some of the festival food. So far, the lady still have a box of takoyaki and a bottle of tea. She ate them while walking on the bridge. The lights are illuminated in the water. Rukawa silently walks behind. The lad's phone rang and saw the name of the caller. He put his earphones and answered the call. 

"Uhm". 

Amane turned and saw the lad having a call with someone. She pointed at the bench and they both sat. Rukawa would be answering with one or two words. 

"I don't think you have to worry. She seems to be having fun". 

The lady's ear seems to go bigger at the mention of "she". Amane recalled Haruko's brightened expression at the sight of Rukawa and what Ayoko told her. Just this morning, she saw a post from Mito having a blast with Haruko and the rest with Sakuragi's personal training with Coach Anzai. She saw him at Haruko's house and surely, he also have her SNS account. The lady caught herself feeling stung on the chest and slapped her cheeks with both her hands. 

"I'd make sure to tell her". The lady turned to see Rukawa having a small smile. It's a rare gem to see the lad with that facial expression. 

Amane stood and stretched her limbs

Amane stood and stretched her limbs. "Are we jogging back?", Rukawa asked as he ends the call. She needed to calm herself and get blood running to her brain. She feels like crying for some reason. 

Probably, you can try to win at any games and competitions because you're good at it. But there's a game where skills and persistence doesn't matter, it's what you call love. You just have to be the lucky one. 

Chapter end.