07| NEVER THE SAME

THE BRISK BREEZE PROMPTED THE HAIR ON HER ARMS and the back of her neck to stand up. Inhaling the crisp air of the approaching winter, Charis surveyed the meadows below, currently devoid of any animals. Instead, there was a serene beauty to the landscape, enhanced by the glow of the impending sunrise. There were moments when Charis yearned to be like the wild horses that roamed those meadows freely.

It had been two years since her brother's passing, and the pain was still raw, especially for Charis. He had been her hero, someone she looked up to with admiration. He enthusiastically cheered her on during competitions and willingly took care of Malory when Charis couldn't. She cherished the fact that he had a special fondness for waffles, a rare treat in their family. Their shared love for sweets often led to unfinished meals and scolding from their mother when they would leave food on the plate.

The memories flooded back—passing him tools as he worked on the truck, the driving lessons he gave her, the joyous spins they took across the fields. But every mention of his name brought back the exact ache she felt on the day he left this world. The wound, despite the passage of time, remained painfully fresh for Charis.

Shifting her gaze toward the woods, she contemplated the idea of wandering into their depths, wondering if she would ever find her way out. Her eyes then moved to the stables, the barn, and finally, the driveway leading up to the house. The thought crossed her mind to close the window quietly, so as not to disturb Jackie's sleep. As she gathered her belongings, she neatly folded clothes on the desk, Charis recognized the significant challenge ahead – making a discreet exit from the property at four-thirty in the morning. She considered the possibility that Katherine and George might have already awakened.

Charis cautiously opened the door to Jackie's bedroom, stepping into the dimly lit hallway. The door emitted a faint creak, prompting a hushed gasp from Charis. Glancing toward the twins' bedroom, she pondered whether either of them was awake at such an early hour. Cole's presence crossed her mind; perhaps he was awake, contemplating the events that transpired – how he had hurt her, how he had asked for her trust, and how he had kissed her.

Charis couldn't shake the uncertainty about whether he regretted his actions or if, perhaps, he harbored different feelings. She wondered if she fell short of what he needed and if her inability to provide comfort after a day centered around football had strained their connection. What did the kiss good night even mean?

Awake and staring at the ceiling, Cole found himself in the quiet early hours of the morning. Feeling the need to occupy his mind, Cole decided he would get up and work on the truck in the barn. The persistent issue with the vehicle had been nagging at him for quite some time.

As he sat up in his bed, Cole's thoughts inevitably drifted to Aster, the late brother of Charis. Aster had once worked at Tony's, a period during which he imparted a wealth of knowledge to Cole. The tragic memory of Aster's demise replayed in Cole's mind. A proud Aster had completed work on his truck and, despite the rain, took it for a spin. Tragically, the brakes failed, and the vehicle spun off the road, leading to Aster's untimely death, pronounced at the scene. The weight of this loss lingered in Cole's thoughts.

Aware that life's uncertainties could unfold unexpectedly, Cole had grown somewhat indifferent to the possibilities, especially after his injury. The sense of an uncertain future had led him to a state of not caring much about the potential risks. Currently, however, his thoughts were consumed by Charis. Imagining her asleep in the neighboring room, probably nursing a substantial hangover, all he truly desired was to hold her in his arms.

Reflecting on his recent actions, Cole couldn't help but acknowledge how poorly he had treated Charis. Taking Jackie to the watering hole, omitting Charis from their hangout plans, contemplating a kiss with Jackie, and ultimately leaving with Erin—all these actions had painted a regrettable picture. Even George, Katherine, and Danny had advised him multiple times that Charis needed space. However, in his attempts to give her the space she supposedly needed, he ended up pushing her away.