Lost and Not Quite Found

In the next few months, Charles ended up back with the Wapiti tribe. He tracked them only a few miles north from where he'd left them in the fall. The convoy was slow-moving, but their goal was to reach the Canadian border by the first snowfall.

When they came across a valley with abundant resources, they decided to stop their traveling for the winter as it proved a viable settlement. Charles stayed with them through the winter. He helped build a village for Rains Fall's people, bringing a sliver of normalcy back into their lives. He spent his days chopping wood, hunting, and providing supplies.

But as much as he contributed to the tribe itself, he made himself scarce to the people. While the Wapiti tribe seemed grateful for his presence, there was some invisible barrier between him and the other men. Perhaps they blamed him partially for the death of the chief's son. There was never anything said directly, but conversations were succinct and the look in their eyes never lost their wariness as the weeks passed.

Since they didn't seem interested in talking, he never bothered to try to explain himself. After all, he had done his best to abide by Rains Fall's wishes at the time, to keep from interfering between them and the army. Yet, he would never be able to deny the company he'd once kept, Dutch's obstructive involvement, and ultimately the role he'd played in the battle of Cornwall's factory. It didn't matter that Eagle Flies' anger had him on his own path of destruction.

By spring, Charles knew this wasn't the place for him. Despite Rains Fall's invitation to stay, Charles saw no future for himself here. The Wapiti people were willing to accept the assistance and supplies he provided, but they would never accept him.

"I know what weighs on your mind, Charles Smith," Rains Fall said one morning, approaching Charles as he was wrapping a feather to an arrow shaft. Rains Fall lowered himself onto a tree stump nearby. He folded his hands over his walking stick and said, "You wish to leave."

Charles kept silent, but out of respect, he stopped his work and faced Rains Fall. Now that they were far from town and winter was upon them, Rains Fall had shed his suit in favor of a fur cloak.

"You should return to your people."

Charles didn't have people anymore. "There's work to be done here."

Rains Fall nodded sagely. "And it will get done. But not by you. Your wish to leave is not a selfish one. My people will persevere, as we always have. Now you must do the same."

Charles had stared, wanting to counter a denial, but knowing in his heart that he couldn't.

"We will welcome you back if you wish to return," Rains Fall offered. His gaze lifted to the skies, watching the clouds as his weathered face saddened. "It's difficult to see the correct paths that may lead us to an abundant life. I tried to teach my son to look for the right opportunities. I wish I had tried harder to teach him the subtleties of peace. I don't speak lightly, Charles, when I tell you it is time for you to make a new path."

Charles knew Rains Fall was right. Much as he desired to find a place among the Wapiti, it was not to be. He chose to leave when the days started to be filled with more sun rather than clouds. The snow melted, beginning a course for spring. At his departure, as he saddled Taima, Rains Fall surprised him with a care package, including a separate satchel with four short glass jars filled with liquid.

"When you see Mr. Morgan again, give him this. It's a tonic of my own creation and should ease his cough."

Charles accepted the satchel, but looked up and told him, "I don't know if I'll be returning to New Hanover. I might head further north instead."

A knowing gleam flickered in Rains Fall's eye. "Take the tonics anyway."

Charles fully intended to go north, but as he rode through the forest and found himself at a fork in the road, he guided Taima southward after all. For the rest of his trip, he took his time in traveling. He stopped in towns and settlements, sometimes for a few days, sometimes for a week. Other times, it only took one night to realize a place wasn't a fit.