Only a touch;rightdowntothebone

Start from the beginning

He opens his mouth to ask what the fuck just happened and looks up from Jungwon, only to find that the other members are all staring at him as if he's an alien visiting from outer space.

"What," he says flatly, removing his hand and taking a step back from the bed.

No one is able to answer why they're looking at him like that because Jungwon starts screaming again. Somehow he sounds like he's in even more pain this time and Jay shoots forward to touch him again. And, just like before, the screaming stops.

"What..." Sunoo starts, then trails off once he realises he has no idea what to say.

Jay is confused too, and freaking out and worried and overwhelmed, but at least it's become clear to him that somehow he's stopping Jungwon from being in pain. He doesn't know why yet but it's something to build off of.

Heeseung is rubbing his chin in thought. "I don't know but—"

"It's because you're touching him," Niki interrupts, almost awed. "He stopped screaming because you touched him. It's like magic."

"Magic?" Jay echoes as his head throbs. He's pretty sure all of that screaming has given him a migraine.

The rest of them look doubtful at this expert assessment apart from Sunghoon who says, "Let's test it." He glances at Jay's hand and ushers everyone to stand around the bed. "Take your hand off him and we'll see if it works for anyone else."

At a loss for words at this development in the proceedings, Jay does as he's told. Some seconds of screaming later, they've now definitely worked out that Jay is the only one who can erase Jungwon's pain.

"Jungwon-ah," he intones softly, quiet enough to get lost in the unfolding argument between the other members.

Jungwon doesn't say anything but he closes his eyes and traps Jay's hand underneath his so that Jay can't move. Not like he was planning to, anyway. Jungwon looks worn out, the ends of his hair frizzing and a pale quality to his face which makes him look ill. Jay supposes that's exactly what he is. Ill with what exactly is anyone's guess.

"Maybe this is a weird dream I'm having," Jake is muttering to himself. "And I'm gonna wake up in three, two, one..."

He pinches himself on his arm and stares down at the mark on his skin, dejected.

Their manager, Soohyun, is on his way over to the dorm already.

Sunoo had called him; Jay's initial reaction had been to act defensive and ask why their manager needed to come over. In his annoyance he'd accidentally taken his hand off Jungwon's shoulder and Jungwon had instantly started screaming in pain again. After Jay calmed Jungwon back down, the look Sunoo had given him had done all the talking for him.

While they wait for Soohyun to arrive, the seven of them have holed up in the living room. Really, the other members could go back to sleep if they wanted to but Jay guesses they're either too keyed up from what's happened or they're awaiting Soohyun's verdict. They're lucky they don't have any schedules later.

Jungwon's leaning into his side, hands wrapped around a cup of coffee that Heeseung had made for him. Accepting the mug has been his only movement in the past ten minutes — apart from that, all he's done is stare blankly at the floor. Jay wants to talk to him and ask him how he's holding up, or at least comfort him, but they haven't had a free moment to themselves since this has started.

"It's magic, I'm telling you," Niki says hotly to the room. "What other explanation is there?"

"Manager-hyung will know something," Sunoo mutters determinedly, clearly trying to convince himself of this. "He has to. Otherwise..."