Chapter One (Part Four)

Start from the beginning

"Hey! Watch it, you–"

"Dashing young man?" a mischievous voice asked.

A massive, silly grin broke out on my face. If anyone could make an awful day better, it'd be Lucas, my older brother by three years.

"I was going to say 'you bumbling fool', actually," I said.

He rolled his eyes, though a smile remained on his face. "Sure," he drawled out, "sure."

I slapped him playfully in the arm and pulled on him a little, urging him to sit with me, but he didn't budge. "Come sit with me," I laughed.

"After that insult?" he joked back.

Once we settled down at our table, he instantly started questioning me. "So who's the new guy, little sister?"

I shrugged. "New cellmate. Somewhat...mysterious." That was the best word I could think of for Cedric. But then again, most new inmates were secretive. Most still were.

"Mysterious?" Lucas said, barking a laugh. You make him sound like your lover."

I did a double take. He was far from being my lover. I didn't even know him! "He's not, Lucas. I've just met him. Besides, maybe 'mysterious' was the wrong word. He's more of a fool."

"Well those descriptions changed drastically. Perhaps he's a mysterious fool?" Lucas brushed his hair out of his face in a mocking handsome motion.

"You're an idiot," I said.

"You're a fool," he responded.

"Bog Breath."

"Worm Eater."

"Short."

"I am not short!" Lucas protested. "I'm average."

"You're right about that," I say, nodding slightly.

Talking with Lucas was like breathing fresh air after being cooped up. Every second of being with him was precious. I wondered how I would be without him. Then my anxiety took over and I shook the thought out of my head.

I was eating fast. Partly, because I was hungry, and partly because my level didn't have much time left. Only eight more minutes.

"Numaer's stars, you're wolfing this down," Lucas said, scrunching his eyebrows together, "and this isn't even good. Yesterday was much better."

With my mouth full, I gave him a stare and an eyebrow raise.

"Am I wrong?" he asked.

"Yesterday's food was literally the same thing," I said after swallowing.

He played with his food and looked down disparagingly. Then, in a wistful voice, said, "Yeah."

I laughed. We ate in silence for a while, then only talked in short conversations.

"Mysterious fool alert," Lucas hissed, elbowing me.

I looked up and saw Cedric walking over to me. He had no tray in his hands, so I guess he had finished already. I raised an eyebrow at him and he copied my action. Arrogant idiot.

"Can I sit with you?" he asked. His tone was surprisingly gentle and apologetic. I scrunched my eyebrow disapprovingly.

"Actually–"

"No problem," Lucas interrupted. We had a small stare-off, but he won.

"Thank you," Cedric said. I noticed he was fidgeting. Maybe from the first real day in Daofen. Maybe from asking to sit with us. But either way, I'd never seen him fidget before. True, I'd only been with him for a day and a half, but still.