Chapter 12

Kennedy POV

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

"Has it sunken in yet?" I asked playfully to my mom who was still catching glances at me as we tidied up after dinner, she still treating me like I was some kind of hologram. She couldn't quite wrap her head around the fact that I surprised her after work with flowers and a slightly startling hug as soon as she walked through the door.

"Just so you know, young lady, you gotta quit keeping secrets from me so I can have your room ready when you come to visit; the sheets aren't done," she remarked. I shook my head, brushing off her concern, and took the dish she handed me to load into the dishwasher.

"Mom, I wanted to surprise you, and well, I think the fact that you dropped your coffee cup and keys was definitely a reaction I'll remember forever," I chuckled, reflecting from five hours ago, "I'm also staying with everyone downtown, about 20 minutes away at the Hilton,"

"Damn, the Hilton Kennedy? And now what if the house wasn't clean for your rich friends to see when they came by?"

I couldn't help but let out an ugly laugh that caught me off guard.

"Firstly Mom, I'm not even entertaining that rich friend's comment. and secondly, even if it was a mess, no one would care," I remarked, rolling my eyes. "Thirdly, you never let the house look untidy; you're too organized and clean."

"True," she smirked, knowing it to be so true. "But you gotta give me a heads up next time. I don't like being surprised."

I playfully mimicked answering my phone, "Abort mission, abort mission. She's not into surprises. Cancel the cheque for 10 million dollars and the keys to the mansion," I continued my fake call following her around the kitchen island, bantering as she resorted to her usual tactic when I annoyed her—tickling my back until I escaped the scene in giggles.

"Any more dishes?" I asked after regaining my voice, and she responded with a head shake. 

My Mom nodded towards my phone which was now ringing with Zion's name across the screen, "Why don't you invite your friends over for dessert? I've got some cakes and pies in the oven," she suggested as I smiled nodding, "Good idea, I'll ask," I said taking my phone and stepping out to the yard.

"Hey Ken," Zion greeted me, "Really quick... Aubrey is asking if she can go in your bag and get her butterfly plush but I was brought me up with manners before going through a girl's things," He said chuckling as I let out a laugh.

"Oh you might actually be too good to be true Zi, yes you're fine to open my case. It should be in the little zip compartment," I told him, "Also I hope her asking for the plush doesn't mean it's her bedtime just yet..." I added as I dramatically paused waiting for him to say something, "Go on," He filled in with another laugh.

"We just wrapped up dinner, thank you for suggesting I take the time to see them without everyone there, It was important I had that time, you were right," I said as I could just sense his ego getting bigger every time I told this man he was right.

"Go on more about how right I am," He said as I laughed, "Oh shush, but... My mom wants you guys to come over for some dessert, she's baking pies and cake right now and my house is about a 20-minute drive from the hotel so if you want, you guys can head over now and it'll be ready,"

"Oh damn, you don't gotta ask me twice! Aubrey get your shoes, we have cake waiting for us lil girl," Zion said being his goofy self as I smiled down the phone listening, "Cake! Before bedtime? YAY" I could hear Aubrey exclaim.