Chapter 23 Lady In Waiting

Start from the beginning

Naela, my dearest cousin, I long to serve as your lady-in-waiting, to stand beside you in court and offer you my unwavering support. I have yearned for this opportunity for so long, and now, with the prospect of my father's marriage, I feel that my presence at your side is more important than ever.

Please, dear cousin, consider my plea. I would be honored to stand by your side, to share in your joys and sorrows, and to offer you whatever assistance you may require. I understand if circumstances prevent you from granting my request, but know that my heart remains steadfast in its devotion to you.

Awaiting your response with bated breath,

Your devoted cousin,

Alynla"

As Naela finished reading the heartfelt words, a rush of emotions flooded her. She felt a pang of sympathy for Alynla, who seemed genuinely surprised and perhaps even unsettled by the news of her father's impending marriage. Yet, beneath the surface, she sensed a glimmer of excitement at the prospect of having her cousin by her side once more.

Without a doubt, Naela reached for her quill and parchment, her mind already formulating a response. She dipped the quill in ink and began to write, her words flowing effortlessly as she addressed her beloved cousin.

"My dearest Alynla,

Your letter has brought both joy and sorrow to my heart. While I share in your surprise at the news of your father's impending marriage, I cannot help but feel a sense of anticipation at the thought of having you by my side once more.

Your request to serve as my lady-in-waiting fills me with warmth, for there is no one I would rather have by my side than you. Your loyalty and devotion have always been a source of strength to me, and I would be honored to have you join me at court once more.

I shall speak to my mother at once and convey your desire to her. I have no doubt that she will welcome the idea with open arms, for she holds you in high regard as well. Together, we shall see if arrangements can be made for you to journey to the castle and take up your rightful place at my side.

Until we are reunited, know that you remain ever in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong, dear Alynla, for brighter days surely lie ahead.

With all my love and affection,

Your devoted cousin,

Naela"

Sealing the letter with wax, Naela called for her servant to deliver it to Alynla without delay. As the servant departed, Naela couldn't help but feel a sense of anticipation at the thought of having her beloved cousin by her side once more.

She hoped her mother would answer her prayers.

Days later, as the castle loomed in the distance, Selena pulled Elaena aside, her expression grave.

With a sense of gravity in her tone, Selena whispered to Elaena, "There is a truth that you must guard with your life. You must never disclose that you are the king's firstborn child."