Chapter 50, 51 and 52

Start from the beginning

After Abner left, Audrey cleared the plates and took them to the kitchen, where the housekeeper was preparing dinner.

The housekeeper had overheard their conversation. Although the housekeeper was a little confused, she noticed the unhappiness on Audrey's face.

And so, she offered some advice, "Don't worry, Young Master is actually a very kind person, even if he doesn't talk much. He cares deeply for his family. If you make a mistake, just apologize sincerely. He'll understand." 

Audrey nodded. Her concern wasn't that Abner would hold a grudge against her at this point. She was more preoccupied with finding a way to keep Jerry away from her in the future. Otherwise, he would repeatedly approach her in this manner. She had always abided by the principle of not causing trouble for others unless they provoked her. If it happened again, she would handle it in the same manner. However, she was well aware that this would lead Jerry and Caroline to involve Abner once more.This would inevitably create problems for her brother. Audrey couldn't come up with a solution at the moment, so she decided to head upstairs to speak with Abner.

Abner's study was adjacent to his bedroom. Audrey had initially thought she wouldn't be nervous, but as she approached the study door, she found herself inexplicably anxious. Taking a deep breath, she raised her hand to knock on the door. "Come in!" Abner's typically cold voice emanated from within the room. Audrey patted her chest and adjusted her expression before entering with a warm smile..

As Audrey pushed open the door, her gaze immediately met Abner, seated on the other side of the room with a laptop in front of him. Audrey's lips twitched slightly as she hesitantly called out, "Brother." Abner's expression froze.

Audrey's demeanor resembled one of his company's apprehensive subordinates, trembling with fear and forcing a strained smile. It was a clear manifestation of her nervousness.

Was he really that scary? He had explicitly told her that he wouldn't scold her and simply wanted to understand the situation. Why was she still so terrified? In response, Abner nodded at Audrey. "Please, have a seat.'

Audrey carefully moved over and adjusted the chair opposite Abner before sitting down. Abner couldn't help but feel a sense of helplessness. He even began to wonder if Audrey was frightened because he rarely smiled. She had seemed quite at ease with Eric. Forget it. Eric's cheerful personality was undoubtedly more amiable and approachable. 

Audrey finally settled into her seat and looked up at Abner, cautiously addressing him, "Brother, what would you like to know?"

Abner didn't reply immediately. Instead, he stood up abruptly and went to the cabinet where his briefcase was stored. Retrieving the briefcase, he took out a piece of dark chocolate.

Audrey's gaze remained fixed on him throughout the process. When she saw him pull out the chocolate, she was taken aback.

[Brother ate quite a few snacks earlier. Yet, there's a piece of chocolate in his briefcase. Could it be that Brother has a sweet tooth? Despite his reserved nature, he seems to enjoy sweet things. I find that rather adorable.]

Abner closed his eyes slightly. He was speechless. In fact, the chocolate in his hand felt hot.

Under Audrey's curious gaze, Abner slowly returned to his seat. After sitting down, he extended the piece of chocolate towards her. "The secretary placed it there this morning," Abner explained. Audrey looked surprised. "For me?"

Abner nodded. "They say eating something sweet can help relax people and ease their nervousness."

Audrey reached out to take it in a daze. "Thank you, Big Brother."