Chapter 5: Scavenger Hunt

Start from the beginning

"What do you two lunatics want?" he demanded bluntly.

"We got a super fun day all planned out for ya!" Harley chirped excitedly.

Jonathan's eyebrows shot up in disbelief. "If you think for one moment I'll participate in anymore embarrassing nonsense—"

"But we worked so hard on it!" Harley interrupted with an exaggerated pout.

Jonathan crossed his arms. "I don't care. I refuse to spend my birthday being publicly ridiculed yet again thanks to your foolish schemes."

Joker tsked. "Now now, Johnny, don't hurt poor Harls' feelings by backing out on us! It's your special day - why not live a little?"

Jonathan glared stonily back. No matter what they said, nothing could convince him to willingly participate in one of their silly parties ever again.

Sensing his stubborn reluctance, Joker stepped forward, eyes glinting. "Of course, if you insist on being a spoilsport, I suppose I could always share a few more embarrassing photos from your childhood..."

Jonathan stiffened, face purpling at the threat. "You wouldn't dare."

Joker just grinned wider, waving his phone teasingly. Sneaking a peek over his shoulder, Jonathan glimpsed one horrifying image of himself in a high chair with food all over his face.

"Come celebrate with us and all those embarrassing photos stay private," the clown negotiated slyly. "But refuse our thoughtful gesture and by tonight they'll be wallpapering Gotham!"

Trapped by the scheming rogues, Jonathan slumped in temporary defeat. "Alright, what do you want me to do this time?" he bit out.

Harley clapped excitedly. "You're gonna love it, Dr. Crane! We planned a special scavenger hunt all around Gotham just for you!"

Jonathan arched an incredulous eyebrow. "A scavenger hunt? What on earth are you babbling about?"

"A fun game, Johnny! We made a list of silly tasks you gotta complete by tracking down stuff around the city," Joker explained happily, handing the doctor a brightly-colored envelope.

Reluctantly, Jonathan slid out a sticker-covered sheet titled "Dr. Crane's Totally Awesome Birthday Scavenger Hunt!" At the top was a checklist full of tasks such as "Get a stranger to sign your birthday card" and "Take a selfie with a dog."

Jonathan's look of disbelief shifted quickly into outrage. "And what makes you think for one moment I have any intention of parading around Gotham making a fool of myself for your amusement?" he spat.

Joker wagged a scolding finger under Jonathan's nose. "Tsk tsk, wouldn't want those photos leaked, now would we?"

"Oh, alright...," he grumbled with a melodramatic sigh.

"Atta boy!" Joker cheered, clapping him on the back. "Oh, and I'll be tagging along to make sure you fully commit to each task." His grin turned wicked. "Don't even think about cutting corners or else!"

And so Jonathan found himself being hustled downtown, forced to wear an absurd sash and crown proclaiming "Birthday Boy." All the while Joker skipped merrily alongside, constantly checking the list.

"First up - get someone to sign your birthday card!" the clown declared. Before Jonathan could object, Joker had accosted a passerby.

"Excuse me sir! Today's my pal's birthday and he'd just love your signature!"

The confused man gave Jonathan an odd look as he was presented with a glittery card and sparkly pen topped with a fluffy pom pom. Glowering, he scrawled his name across the kittens and balloons decorating the Hallmark monstrosity.